Pedal Issues and a Clunking Sound

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Hi there.

I'm just having some trouble with my bike.

The first problem is my left pedal, it's an SPD-SL clipless pedal and it's supposed to be weighted so that it goes to the same position when you unclip which makes it easier to clip in. Unfortunately the pedal is sticking which means that every time I unclip, the pedal goes to a different position making it really difficult to set off quickly and cars in front of me pull away while drivers behind me are getting impatient as I fumble around trying to clip in. How would I fix this?

Next problem. I'm getting a clunking sound. There's no consistency to it, it might happen when I'm climbing a hill or just going along at a steady speed. Any ideas of what it might be?

Thanks! Hoping to have the bike all tuned and ready to go for a Christmas Day ride!

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
For the pedal problem the first thing I would do is to service the pedals. Strip, clean & regrease the bearings and make sure the bearings aren't adjusted up too tight when rebuilding.

The clunk is harder to judge as there are so many things it could be. It is possible it might be related to the stiff pedal - I've had this myself in the past - but it could be something else entirely. Sorry to be a bit vague.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

For the pedal problem the first thing I would do is to service the pedals. Strip, clean & regrease the bearings and make sure the bearings aren't adjusted up too tight when rebuilding.

The clunk is harder to judge as there are so many things it could be. It is possible it might be related to the stiff pedal - I've had this myself in the past - but it could be something else entirely. Sorry to be a bit vague.

Thanks, I'll have a look online on how to service the pedals and I'll give it a shot. I'm thinking that the clunking might be the bottom bracket, could be wrong though. Thanks again ;)

hoski

Veteran
Is the clunking per crank revolution? Could well be the bottom bracket. If in doubt, strip and regrease (or however you ought to service yours).

I had clunking sound, once per crank revolution... spent ages checking the bottom bracket, saddle, seatpost, handlebars,etc. It finally went away when removed the pedals and refitted them. Presumably you'll do this if you service them, so fingers crossed.

Other culprits could be the seatpost/saddle or the stem/handlebars... regrease and tighten, or use loctite if appropriate. I imagine these give more of a creaky clunk than a clunky clunk though?

Top Bottom