Pedal Powered Segway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If it only has a single brake for each wheel then how would a user make a sudden stop? I can’t imagine it’ll be easy to apply both brakes simultaneously and with equal pressure. It would likely tip to one side or the other and displace the rider.

classic33

Leg End Member
Why wouldn't it be legal for UK roads as it is fitted with brakes and doesn't run under its own power. From the description it's really just a very differently designed battery assisted hand cycle - and totally pointless.
Segways were never legal for road use in the UK.

Dadam

You're trying to use some kind of tank steering via foot brakes. I can't see how that would be practical from a standing position. As mentioned above, to do an emergency stop you'd have to jump onto both pedals at once.
Real Segways steer by leaning the central column which is picked up by the controller and used to control how much each wheel turns. Why not use this system?
but still very concerned about the safety of banalcing on a 'sort of hoverboard' while spinning hand cranks some feet above the wheels

Segways use gyro sensors to determine the position/balance and activate the motor to suit. I assume hoverboards do as well? I guess there's no reason the controller couldn't factor this motion in. This is also how they accelerate and brake, you lean forward and the controller detects this and accelerates to regain balance. Again, not sure why you're not using this system, unless it's patents you're concerned about?

How about some controller input on the hand pedals? Doesn't have to be bicycle style brake levers. Small lever controlled by forefingers and/or thumb buttons or sticks. I'm thinking like a game controller, a console one, or the throttle side of a HOTAS flight sim controller.

I think you'd also need to lower the platform and have larger wheels so the device is naturally stable. If the motor, controller or battery fails you're standing on a top heavy unstable platform which is also moving forward, and are probably going to faceplant at speed, with likely "eyewatering" impact from the column as well. :eek:

It also looks like the "pedals" need more mechanical advantage too. They look very hard to turn.

Intriguing engineering problem. Would I use one? Hell no!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I think it’d be quite hard to control as the hand cranks are also used for steering. I’d want the bit you stand on to be slip proof. I’d want mirrors or a reverse view camera. I’d also want bigger spoked wheels, they don’t look robust enough, unless this is only for using on smooth indoor parquet.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I don't see any brakes?

Being naturally clumsy I've never tried anything like that, but it strikes me that "pedalling" with my hands while trying to coordinate balance standing up and operating brakes to turn would be far too much for me. I'd foresee a lot of falls.
Have you tried any kind of a model?

Probably in the UK. But there's a big ol' world outside of Blighty ^_^

I don't get it.

Perhaps you've never done such a thing for school or University but I'd bet you know many young people who have done or are doing similar.
The "products" don't have to be "real". As with a lot of things, the value lies not in the end result, but in the process.

There's been some pretty direct feedback on the thread but it was, at least, feedback.

Im in Denmark. They are certainly illegal on the road here.

presta

Guru
There were pedal powered 'segways' around in the 1960s. The ones I saw kids with were similar to this, but with just two wheels:

1682789296549.png

Tom B

Guru
I'm a final year engineering student and I'm Looking for feedback on weather you would use a pedal powered Segway

Absolutely not, it's utterly ridiculous, why would you?

But that's not the point is it. It's a student project so designing it, and going through all the options and R&D and coming up with a "no this is a bad idea" is as "good" as designing something totally awesome. It's about the process.

As a student, albeit at GCSE level, I designed and prototyped a dynamo powered bike light that was backed up by a "battery" that meant the light would stay on when stationary, ( I toyed with the idea of adding brake light function. It was at the time when LED was becoming mature and battery life was not an issue. So it was a bad idea.

I also tried a hamster in wheel powered battery charger and hamster cage light largely inspired / borne of a quest to quieten down the hamster wheel.

DRM

Guru
Of course the chap that owned the company met a sticky end on one of his own products.

Yes he did, and iirc the main business which made an absolute shed load of money from the MOD/Afghan war forgot to renew the patent on their product, so now anyone can make it, as he wasn’t present to remind them to update the patent….allegedly

brommieinkorea

Why is this thing on cycle chat, it is not a cycle. I can't see any use for such a contraption. No wouldn't use one. Also wouldn't use a regular Segway either.

Dadam

Why is this thing on cycle chat, it is not a cycle. I can't see any use for such a contraption. No wouldn't use one. Also wouldn't use a regular Segway either.

Well it‘s a pedal powered wheeled conveyance so it actually is. It‘s a two wheeled hand cycle at least.

But you‘ve missed the point, it’s a student project. It doesn‘t have to be a practical proposition. Never mind I’m sure the OP is overjoyed with your feedback.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
am I being stupid, or how could this work ? The Segway had automatic balancing using the motors etc... on this, surely you would simply fall flat on your face ?

Top Bottom