Pedal Removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Given that pedal threads are different on the left and right pedals: the right side pedal has a right-hand thread (removes counterclockwise, installs clockwise); the left side pedal has a left-hand thread (removes clockwise, installs counterclockwise), I often find myself trying to remember which way to turn the wrench to loosen a pedal.
I stand at the back of the bike and loosen them both towards myself. Just an easy way to remember that works for me.

U

User6179

I stand at the back of the bike and loosen them both towards myself. Just an easy way to remember that works for me.

"Back Off"

"Back Off"
Unless it’s the left side pedal.

U

User6179

Or even you pull the spanner below the pedal...

I think of it as being in the same direction as the crank turns when backpedalling.

Spanner always at 12 O'clock when thinking of what way to turn it.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
I'll tell you what also never fails. The pedal spanner or your foot slips and you painfully crack your ankle on the crank while your calf engages in a passionate and intimate liason with the teeth on the chain ring :cry::cry::cry:

I learned a long time ago that whenever working on my bike, to put the chain on the outer ring, still hurts if you bash you hand against it but at least there isn`t a handful of teeth marks on you

Globalti

Legendary Member
A really stubborn pedal can be removed by turning the bike upside-down, setting the spanner so that it's alongside the crank and trying to turn the pedal forwards, which is effectively towards the back of the bike, then whacking the end of the spanner with a mallet to shock it.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I had to whip the cranks off the Giant I bought then put an allen key in the vice and wrestle the crank round to undo the pedals... That was after plusgas, although I didn't try heat... Once they had freed off slightly they came off a treat, I think they'd been tightened by an airgun or something :laugh:

Top Bottom