Pedal/shoe help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I had M520 on almost all of my bikes, with the only exception being the M530 fitted to my trike. When I purchased my fat bike last October I decided to go with a different option (wanting a larger cage for extra support). This resulted in me going with the ED500 instead. No regrets at all.

Justified_Sinner

Agree,

I have a pair of spd/flat on my Gravel which does enable you to wear normal trainers if you just want to nip out somewhere but otherwise M520's are the way to go.
Have you had any problems with your cleated shoes slipping on the non-SPD side? I used to ride these all the time but had two horrible falls when the flat side came up and my bike shoe slipped off it, so now I only use cleated shoes with my bikes.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The M520s on my most frequently used bike are over ten years old and are still just fine. If you decide to buy a pair, just make sure that cleats are included. Some Ebay sellers snaffle the cleats and sell them separately.

vickster

Legendary Member
I have ordered Shimano m540 spd pedals. Any shoe recommendations?
Ones that fit your feet :okay: they’ll need to be two hole MTB or touring style.
how much do you want to spend? Do you have narrow/average or wide feet? Any issue with high arches etc?
You’re buying the bike from a shop...what do they have In store?
However, if buying online, get with free delivery and returns, shoes like helmets aren’t the best thing to buy online!
you may need to size up, so maybe order shoe size and a size if not two up

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Shimano M520's are pretty good. My go to is XT pedals, either the standard SPD or the Trails. The bearings are superb, and easy to service.

OP
OP
T

Tommohawk

I was looking at the Shimano me200 however I am struggling to find them in my size. I was also looking at dhb troika on wiggle.

vickster

Legendary Member
I was looking at the Shimano me200 however I am struggling to find them in my size. I was also looking at dhb troika on wiggle.
Buy the next size up, Shimano come up small and narrow!

however the M200 looks like a very old model which explains lack of availability

if you like the Troika just buy them, no one can really say what shoe is best for you

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Dunno if they’ll fit and you’ll have to pay delivery (but can get free returns if use the PayPal scheme) but these are half price at £60 at Sportpursuit. Better fastenings than just the Velcro on the DHB which will fail with frequent use
Sizes up to 49

Attachments

• E284ED08-CBB0-4F1D-8F90-61A2F4FA456A.png
    E284ED08-CBB0-4F1D-8F90-61A2F4FA456A.png
    61.1 KB · Views: 5
Top Bottom