Pedal Spanner Wanted

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Need a pedal spanner, looked on Fleecebay they go from 99p to £95 would like to buy once only but don't want to overspend, can somebody recommend a good one.

midlife

Guru
Icetoolz:smile:. Comes with a box spanner for the crank bolts...

Shaun

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I use a standard Britool open spanner. It's thin enough for my bikes. I have been known to attack spanners with the bench grinder in order to get them into awkward places.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Likewise - however some spanners are too thick to fit in the narrow flats of the pedals.
A good 15mm spanner will do the job. Some cheaper spanners will try to compensate for lower quality steels with increased bulk. I do have a lovely 15mm combination wrench that is slightly longer than standard and is good for stubborn pedals but is still slim. I also have a very nice but good quality 11mm combination wrench that is quite thick, can anyone tell me why?

midlife

Guru
It's a pedal spanner because it's used on pedals that have a thin flat which normal spanners can't engage...maybe the OP will never encounter one :smile:

The box spanner bit on the icetoolz is good as its thin and will not foul the crank. Plus it's cheap and does the job :smile:

Shaun

Big John

Guru
I appreciate they ain't cheap but one of the best pedal spanners I've ever used was a Park Tools one. I've just Googled one to see how much they cost - £15 from Wiggle @ 16/11/16. I worked at a bike charity and got to use some 'proper' tools lol. Myself I use a normal spanner and usually a piece of pipe as an extender for those pedals that just won't budge. You'd have to really abuse a Park Tools one to break it.

Top Bottom