Pedal to the Peaks - 200 Mile solo cycle for Charity

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterbruce2002

Greetings all!
My first post on CycleChat! Glad to be here - it seems nice and active!

Im here to put the word out about a ridiculous feat im undertaking... This May the 4th (be with you-;)) I will be cycling 200 miles in 7 days from my home in Cambridge to the Peak District (sheffield and beyond) for charity.

The charity is Wood Green Animal Shelters. Please support me in this event - I know everyone on here has done wonderful events and really we want to support everyone, but Im not after lots of money, especially in this financial climate, but all donations help me on my way, and mean that extra bit more to the charity.

This is the first charity cycle I have ever attempted, and also the furthest I have ever travelled on my two wheels. Its a challenge I never thought Id do, but here I am, middle of my training, and already worrying about it! Roll on May, though, as sponsors are coming in, and I cant back out now!

Please visit www.justgiving.com/peterbruce for information on my trip, my motivations and to sponsor me!

All the very best, and i look forward to chatting to everyone soon!

Peter xx

Cathryn

Legendary Member
It sounds like a great trip - you'll love it. How's the training going?

OP
OP
peterbruce2002

peterbruce2002

hello,

training is HARD! i never kidded myself when attempting this event that it would be easy, but i did 48 miles last week in total, and the longest - 26miles in one trip - completely killed me physically. Legs are still paying for it.

Im keen to do a similar distance this week (my work weeks run from fri to fri) , but to spread out the longer rides, so im not so worn out.

ALSO, has anyone had any experience with PowerBar foods/drinks? Need to get used to having them (or something similar).

Peter

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No offence and good luck to you on your ride but you would probably have a more positive response if it wasn't your first post and straight away asking for for money. You might as well go and ask people in the street as you don't know them either.
Also many of us ride huge challenges frequently and it's not really possible to ask the same people to donate again and again. I'd suggest friends and family and local businesses are a better bet.

mickwood

Pete,

It's Charity, ask away and worry not! Just keep us updated with a bit of info so we can be nosey and see how your going on your training/event :smile:

Good Luck!

Mick

samid

Guru
Re powerbars - I found out that real food is way nicer than all those "sports" foods/drinks. If you were doing 200 miles a day, that'd be a different matter (and I wouldn't know how to handle that) - but considering that you do not really have that much to ride per day, and you won't be riding in a desert - I would just stop find some place to eat in whenever I was hungry (or before that). I'd start with a full English breakfast in the morning, and take it from there.

jags

Guru
this sound's like a fun ride,so enjoy it.as for food banana,fruitcake,i bottle water, one bot highenergy drink ,and drink often .dont bring the food or water home with you .
did anyone tell you not to push big gears keep it simple ,if you feel pressure on the peddals ,your in the wrong gear. best of luck cant sponser you at the moment the work is very bad.

OP
OP
peterbruce2002

peterbruce2002

hehe nah im not doing it in one day... that would be crazy... think it would take me easily over 24 hours to do that - even if i was bionic!

Also, as reply to Rich P, I know im new to the site, and probably went about advertising my event the wrong way, but, as mickwood says, its charity, so ask away - and thats what I did. I do hope to become a seasoned visitor and poster to this site, as it seems to have alot to offer, just dont knock me down at the starting blocks :sad:

30-40 miles a day is my target, and for someone who has NEVER done one of these big rides before in my life, naturally I am calling out to everyone to offer advice and help during my training.. I can do 30miles in one day at the moment, but ive got a long way to go yet.

Also, I fully appreciate this distance is like a drop in the ocean compared to the distances some members on here do regularly, but we all have to start somewhere - and I cant WAIT to get going. :sad:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
There's a fundraising/charity forum on the ctc web site - your appeal might get a more positive reception there.

You've got enough time to get fit enough to do the ride in three or four days. It will also reduce your expenses if you do it faster.

OP
OP
peterbruce2002

peterbruce2002

Thanks, im sure with training I could do it in less time, but this isnt just a 'get from point a to point b and raise some money' its also an adventure, and a holiday combined... I want to enjoy myself and allow myself to insert a bit of sightseeing en-route, as i pass through some lovely parts of the country.

Perhaps if this trip goes well, better than expected, then I can consider doing faster, more endurance based rides... :biggrin:

you are right though... it would bring down my costs considerably, but i dont want to overwork myself, first time out. :biggrin: thanks.

Top Bottom