Pedalling technique - question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Longshot

(Originally posted in 'Beginners' Section, probably incorrectly)

I'm still a relatively new returnee to cycling having now had a Specialized Sirrus for 15 months after a 25 year break. I slowly upped my times and distances last year before having a break over the winter and am now building up again towards the RideLondon100.

I was out for a ride today and, perhaps for the first time, began to 'feel' the mechanics of the process. What I mean by that, less pretentiously, is that I began to fathom out some techinique that seemed to work better. This is probably cycling 101 stuff but no-one's ever taught me to cycle (not dince the losing stabilisers pase anyway.

The first thing I noticed is that by 'locking' my feet, I got far more efficiency from each revolution. What I mean by that may simply be the effect that one gets from road shoes with a rigid sole - by not bending my foot round the pedal (either heel or toes), the power is transferred more effectively into the pedals. The difference was quite pronounced and produced marked acceleration without applying more effort.

The second thing was by bring my knees further in (and presumably more directly over my knees) I was able to get more power through my legs for what felt like less effort - again it felt more efficient.

My question is, basically, is the above correct or am I reading something into this that is misleading? As I say, I've never been formally taught technique and don't want to ingrain something that may be damaging or worthless.

Ningishzidda

The calf muscles are a valuable source of power in the pedaling stroke. They have a range of movement to add to the pressure on the pedal.
Knees should travel in a line between the hip ball centre and the middle of the second metatarsel.

TheJDog

dingo's kidneys
Richard's bicycle book used to talk about ankling as part of the stroke - that is the foot being canted slightly up on the downstroke, and down on the up. I'm completely convinced that it's just an artifact of the pressure you put into the pedal. When spinning, I'm sure I keep my feet fairly locked, and I imagine, though you'd have to video it, when I'm out of the saddle I'm "on my toes". I'd watch some pros in slow-mo if I were OP. There should be plenty of footage of wiggo in slomo from the olympics tt online, and plenty of slomo TDF mountain action on youtube...

Top Bottom