pedals and cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
due to my bike (soon to be bikes) being split between commuting and leisure riding and i commute in school shoes and ride leisure soon in real cycling shoes i am considering getting a pair of touring pedals so i can ride flat pedals to school and clip in for leisure riding
pedals like this:
njp0xibmxus.jpg

or:
spd_single_sided_touring_pedals__63121_zoom.jpg

what sort of cleats do i need to clip in when leisure riding with proper cycling shoes?
is it just this type?:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSrPTSc5Jgq75fifKzOyxB9nN80Tzb0OHVk9qsO-wkqistG1sj.jpg

sorry for all the stupid questions but TBH the world of pedals and cleats is a very confusing one!
Cheers Ed

pclay

Veteran
You need SPD shoes and cleats for those pedals that have both sides.

The last image you posted is SPD-SL cleats.

I use the Shimano PD-A530 pedals on my road bike, I think they are great. What is your budget? you will be looking at around £30 for the pedals, and then £40 for the cheapest shoes. Somethin like these might suiot your needs:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-c10-commutertouring-cycling-shoe/

T
he SP{D cleats required for the first two images are sometimes referred to as mountain bike cleats or two hole cleats.

Might be worth watching THESE on fleabay, they might save you a few quid if no-one bids.

Watch out for Aldi/Lidl sales as well, their SPD shoes are usually well regarded for the money, and unless you have monster plates like mine you shouldn't have a problem getting your size.

As for detailed information of different pedal types, AASHTA :thumbsup:

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
You need SPD shoes and cleats for those pedals that have both sides.

The last image you posted is SPD-SL cleats.

I use the Shimano PD-A530 pedals on my road bike, I think they are great. What is your budget? you will be looking at around £30 for the pedals, and then £40 for the cheapest shoes. Somethin like these might suiot your needs:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-c10-commutertouring-cycling-shoe/

T
he SP{D cleats required for the first two images are sometimes referred to as mountain bike cleats or two hole cleats.
what is the difference between spd and spd-sl?

so i need these then?! :biggrin:
CIMG2694a.jpg

Cheers Ed

what is the difference between spd and spd-sl?

so i need these then?! :biggrin:
CIMG2694a.jpg

Cheers Ed
SPD are generally regarded for MTB/Hybrid/CX use, (although 1000's of people use them on road bikes too, and why not indeed). You can also walk easily in SPD's as well, hence they are favoured by commuters as well.

SPD-SL are a road dedicated set up whose cleats make walking difficult for any distance, and treacherous on slippery surfaces.

Most people start off with SPD's, then either stick to them or start to experiment depending on their bike and/or type of riding they do.

This is all just IMHO of course, and FWIW I use SPD-SL's on my road bike as I basically don't walk anywhere when I go out plus I always found I got hotspots under my feet with SPD's.

PS: considering the ones you've posted Ed these are what you need :girldance:

5413fe8286474ad15c6a209f9201fede.jpg

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
SPD are generally regarded for MTB/Hybrid/CX use, (although 1000's of people use them on road bikes too, and why not indeed). You can also walk easily in SPD's as well, hence they are favoured by commuters as well.

SPD-SL are a road dedicated set up whose cleats make walking difficult for any distance, and treacherous on slippery surfaces.

Most people start off with SPD's, then either stick to them or start to experiment depending on their bike and/or type of riding they do.

This is all just IMHO of course, and FWIW I use SPD-SL's on my road bike as I basically don't walk anywhere when I go out plus I always found I got hotspots under my feet with SPD's.

PS: considering the ones you've posted Ed these are what you need :girldance:

5413fe8286474ad15c6a209f9201fede.jpg
these are spd road pedals?
Shimano%20R540%20blk1.jpg

oh and i love those shoes but can i get them in bright in bright neon pink? :girl::wub:
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
are spd and spd-sl different entirely or are they interchangeable with pedals and cleats ie i can use for example spd pedals and spd-sl cleats or vice versa or what ever?
Cheers Ed

vickster

Legendary Member
No, the other way round, the small two bolt cleats fit the silvery pedals. The 3 bolt black and yellow cleats fit the black pedals

If wearing trainers, get the pedals that look more like a flat pedal, top one. The touring more rounded pedals are smaller and more uncomfortable with trainers especially if big feet

How about reading the clipless FAQ I. The beginners forum, from page 1 ;)

Last edited:

jack smith

Veteran
Spd is the small ones and will ONLY fit spd pedals they are a small two bolt system, the Sl's are for road and are a lot bigger and only fit shimano or compatible road pedals it's worth noting they do not fit look delta or keo pedals either

Top Bottom