Pedals - Flats or Cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bad Company

Very Old Person
Mrs BC & I have been using cleats on our hybrid bikes for years. We’ve now sold them and ordered a Cube Kathmandu each.

So do we still need cleats or stick with the flats they come with?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
That's a question only you can answer.

Do you want to carry on using cleats or not?

Slick

Guru
I don’t think they’ll make much difference on the electric so maybe not.

Just wondering what other eb users are using.

For me, I moved to the flats on the ebike.

I still use the clipless on my other bikes, but there just isn't the same requirements on an ebike.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

For me, I moved to the flats on the ebike.

I still use the clipless on my other bikes, but there just isn't the same requirements on an ebike.
Why not? Riding my Ribble SLE or Orbea Gain is very much like riding the road bikes I used before being forced to go electric. Stick with what you're used to.

Slick

Guru
Why not? Riding my Ribble SLE or Orbea Gain is very much like riding the road bikes I used before being forced to go electric. Stick with what you're used to.

Fair enough, but that's why I prefixed my tuppence worth with " for me".

I originally went clipless as I was losing my footing on the pedal on a wet commute, but I rarely put that much pressure on the ebike pedal especially starting off as it seems to take off quite quickly as soon as it senses the pedal is moving.

I find it much easier with flats, but I do have a different agenda when on the ebike.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If you like using cleats, why not carry on if it's what you're used to.

I use flats on my Ribble Hybrid ebike, but then I use flats on all my flat bar bikes. SPDs are fitted to all the road bikes.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Flat pedals are good because you can just jump on and ride.

Cleats are good because they encourage better pedalling technique. And encourage the use of stiffer soled shoes for better power transfer and less fatigue of the feet on longer rides. Cleats are bad because those shoes tend to be expensive. And for winter, overshoes or different shoes (/boots) are needed. So that's either more expense or more faff.

I think the gains from using cleats are marginal. Probably more gained from the shoes, over say trainers.

I think it is going to come down to how you ride, and how much electrical assistance you ride with. If you are aiming to conserve battery life for longer rides, then it makes sense to make the rider as efficient as possible. If you are looking for convenience over any efficiency gains, then flats are probably the way to go.

Dirtyhanz2

I have changed my bikes now to flats I use the look city pedals big and comfortable just think there is more advantages to flats

Dirtyhanz2

IMG_2784.jpeg

I use Shimano 324 pedals which have SPD cleats on one side and flat on the other for both my Thorn Mercury and my e-bike. If I am going to ride any distance I use the cleats.

I use SPDs, I've never used Cleats but my MTB was flats as I was never confident enought to be clipped in off-road.

I do like the idea of a 50/50 pedal, so use the clip in side for longer rides and the flats for shopping trips

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Shimano SM-PD22; they are clip in platforms with reflectors.
I use these primarily so that I've got pedal reflectors, but the flat platform is good enough for short rights at least.

Shimano also do a range of pedals which are double sided; flats one way up and SPD t'other way up. I've had a set in the past and they a great on a town/utility bike.

Top Bottom