Pedals - no not those ones, flat pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
I have the inexpensive £30 MKS Sylvan touring flat pedals on one of my bikes, I re-grease them every year, so far so good.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.MKS-Sylvan-Touring_18210.htm

18210-23231_1_Supersize.jpg

I have been using MKS Sylvian Touring since 1990s. The Road version has a sticky up bit that does not play well with wider footwear. Other models have a bit more support in the centre of the pedal, useful for posh shoes.

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

I have the inexpensive £30 MKS Sylvan touring flat pedals on one of my bikes, I re-grease them every year, so far so good.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.MKS-Sylvan-Touring_18210.htm

View attachment 657789

Funny you list that - those are the exact ones I bought. They arrived today.

Along with the 6mm Draper T-bar allen key tool to remove the pedals.

Problem is, removing the pedals snapped the allen key. Those things are on tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Have ordered a 15mm pedal removal tool, see if it can do any better. Gave it a good squirt with some plus gas, see if that helps. As tight as they were though, I'm wondering if I'll have to get the heat gun on there as there was just no sign of any give at all, nothing.

Gwylan

Veteran
Im new here are we allowed to do this.

Have a pair of flat black pedals from my Cowboy bike. Swapped them for pedals with toe clips, suit my age and condition.
Photo later garage locked & alarm set.

£15 including postage, pm me.

vickster

Legendary Member
Im new here are we allowed to do this.

Have a pair of flat black pedals from my Cowboy bike. Swapped them for pedals with toe clips, suit my age and condition.
Photo later garage locked & alarm set.

£15 including postage, pm me.

There’s a classifieds section if you’re not too new to use it :okay:

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Jesus Christ! Went through to my mothers this morning to pick up the heat gun & while there I thought I'd just pick up a 15mm spanner just in case, as you never know.

Had at it & nope, those things are not budging any time soon. I swear whoever fitted them used to work in a garage & all they did was put wheelnuts on with the ugga dugga all day long super freakin tight.

Amazon should be here at some point today. Fingers crossed this tool with the extra leverage is the answer.

Gwylan

Veteran
You do know they are threaded differently. That way they don't unscrew when pedalling

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You've already bought them I know but I was also gonna say MKS Sylvans. Been on my rig for 4+ years and never had a problem. Grippy whilst not being shin eaters.
Also what @Gwylan said. The threading of pedals can easily catch you out. 35+ years of bike fettling and they still confuse me sometimes. You could very well be tightening them without realising it.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You do know they are threaded differently. That way they don't unscrew when pedalling
Easy way to get it right is to move the spanner towards the back of the bike with the crank and bike upright, on both sides. Often pedals are put on without grease at the factory, so remember to apply some yourself when refitting.
Use a hammer on the spanner to release them. Never had one that didn't remove, even ones that were on for years.
With the new ones start threading it by hand until it's started

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

Good news bad news.

Good news - got them off.

Bad news - not sure the new ones are going on as they should so could do with some feedback from you guys.

That proper removal tool along with a block of wood under the pedal arm of the one I'm not undoing (sure that's not its official name) along with my foot easing down on the pedal tool sorted it out.

Then I came to put the new ones in. First off they don't screw in by hand as easy as the guys on YouTube show it. They go in so far but not a lot before needing a spanner. Maybe my grip is poor but still, they made it look much easier on YouTube where you could screw it home by hand & then nip up with a spanner.

Not only that but could you look at these photos:

20220819_140532.jpg

Old vs new. On the face of it the threads all look same size. But then once I've tightened it as much as I dare (as in I don't want to go like a maniac - been there & done that on the car too many times) -

20220819_140550.jpg

The hex bit is sat inside with some of the internal threads on the arm showing.
Now I can't remember how far it sat in with the old pedals. I thought it was flush but I could well be wrong.

What's your opinion of this? Does it look ok? Haven't put the other side on yet.

20220819_140613.jpg

Pedal side of the arm. Looks like bits (coating?) of the arm is lifting after tightening that down?

FOR CLARIFICATION: I went with what was on beforehand in terms of orientation. In other words, the old pedal that was stamped R that my right foot would be on - that's what you see in this photo & is also stamped R.

Yep, I hopped on YouTube beforehand :smile:

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

FOR CLARIFICATION: I went with what was on beforehand in terms of orientation. In other words, the old pedal that was stamped R that my right foot would be on - that's what you see in this photo & is also stamped R.

Yep, I hopped on YouTube beforehand :smile:

Check you have them on the correct sides, they are marked L & R

Now that's out of the way ;)

Folks views on the above (photos)? Is it looking right or not & if not why not?

Really should've removed one side & then replaced that side so I'd have the other side for reference.

edit - put the old pedal back in. it was further in than the new one in the sense that it went more of the way through, but there were still internal threads showing when this was seated all the way home, just not quite as much.

I'm going to gamble & say for as close as it looks, it'll be right.

Last edited:
Top Bottom