Pedals - no not those ones, flat pedals.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Two-Wheels

Bike had a bit of an issue:

20220816_103553.jpg

So was looking in to getting replacement pedals. Those in the photo are Wellgo M141. I just looked to get the same as I was happy enough with them but was surprised to see the average reviews on them as that wasn't my experience (but then I have nothing to compare them to).

So I got to searching flat pedals & what a nuisance it was. I'm not willing to spend 3 figures & all I ran in to were mixed bag reviews. Not only that but I ran in to talk of maintenance, non maintenance, grease ports, sealed, bearing, lack of bearing, stiff pedals, free pedals (not cost).

To a newbie that was no good. I just want some decent pedals.

Didn't like the sound of these stiff pedals. Would rather not anything that requires me to 'maintain' them every 5mins. I didn't have to do anything with those in the photo other than buy reflectors after about 3-4 years because the others had come off.

Just some flat comfortable pedals. The bike as per the photo is a hybrid. Pretty much all my journeys are road-based. I don't commute to work, I just get out mostly of the weekend when I can. 20, 30, 40 miles. Was working towards 50.

vickster

Legendary Member
MKS make good pedals, from about £30 up if you want something more premium than Wellgo

OP
OP
T

Two-Wheels

MKS make good pedals, from about £30 up if you want something more premium than Wellgo

Thanks for the tip.

I should've asked in the OP - but what am I supposed to actually be looking for, apart from the obvious - a pedal?

I know shopping online limits you somewhat as you can't see/feel in person but it is what it is.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Firstly don't take too much notice of reviews.
Those pedals you have look like a plastic body with metal cage. If you want something that's going to last buy all metal and to be sure get some with Shimano stamped on them. Don't have to be expensive.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the tip.

I should've asked in the OP - but what am I supposed to actually be looking for, apart from the obvious - a pedal?

I know shopping online limits you somewhat as you can't see/feel in person but it is what it is.

All LBS will sell flat pedals if you want to see before buying.
Personally I just buy whatever is in the style I like (usually like the ones in your photo) for around £20…
I value my shins so nothing too sharp!

Venod

Eh up
A few years ago, I had a senior moment and thought I would try some flat pedals on the MTB (I have been using clipless since they first appeared on road bikes, I think they were Look)

I was impressed by MTB flat pedals and thought they would make good road pedals for some people, I went back to Shimano SPD double sides that I use on all my bikes now, but if I have another senior moment and fancy some flats on the road bike I would look at MTB pedals.

https://www.5-top.co.uk/mtb-flat-pe...3CQN&msclkid=544131a4b61c187df6f8535991abd745

vickster

Legendary Member
A few years ago, I had a senior moment and thought I would try some flat pedals on the MTB (I have been using clipless since they first appeared on road bikes, I think they were Look)

I was impressed by MTB flat pedals and thought they would make good road pedals for some people, I went back to Shimano SPD double sides that I use on all my bikes now, but if I have another senior moment and fancy some flats on the road bike I would look at MTB pedals.

https://www.5-top.co.uk/mtb-flat-pedals?targetid=kwd-85213066422302:loc-4076&matchtype=e&device=c&campaignid=424341830&creative=&adgroupid=1363395822965486&feeditemid=&loc_physical_ms=40862&loc_interest_ms=&network=s&devicemodel=&placement=&keyword=$best mtb flat pedals&target=&adposition=&trackid=uk_all_top5_bing&mId=H149003CQN&msclkid=544131a4b61c187df6f8535991abd745

Those are not shin friendly though! And would look a bit chunky on a roadbike imo

+1 on SKS.
I have a touring model, I believe, certainly not expensive. There must be 40k km on them now and one is starting to give a bit of gyp from a lack of grease but those pedals have taken some abuse.

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
I have had these flat petals on both my old school mountain bike and my newer trek hybrid since 2018. Made of light composite, I have held up beautifully. No complaints and reasonably priced.

OneUp flat pedals

Bought them off of Amazon. Five star rating after almost 1,700 reviews. I’m glad I got them.

FF505622-AF95-4D3B-B2C8-8BF00D0CF9D5.jpeg

Last edited:
If you're looking for budget-friendly, no-frill flats, then Decathlon would be a good port of call.

I use their version of the Shimano MTB pedals that have SPD clip on one side and a flat platform on the other on both my hybrid and road bikes. They're not fancy, but they do the job. Got all-metal Wellgos on the MTB, but they're repurposed toe clip jobbies with the clips taken off.

Top Bottom