pedals

Discussion in 'Cyclocross (CX), Duathlon and Triathlon' started by tanc, 22 Jul 2012.

1. tanc

tanc Member

I ride a specialized TriCross and looking at upgrading to spds. There are too many out there and no idea what I am looking for. I am an all weather commuter so looking at the Shimano PD-R540s. I thought they look like good beginner ones. Any thoughts, tips?
    many thanks

2. sean8997

sean8997 MEKK Poggio 3.5 & Merida Cyclocross 3

I use the M540's, had them for about 2 years now, cant grumble with them, ideal for all round cycling I think

3. Cubist

Cubist Still wavin' Moderator

SPD SL?

4. OP
    OP
    tanc

tanc Member

shimano%20pdr540%2007.jpg these babies

5. jdtate101

jdtate101 Ex-Fatman

Unless you are using the tricross offroad then SPD-SL would be a better choice. If using offroad then SPD pedals with recessed shoes...

6. MattHB

MattHB Proud Daddy

If you have to walk ANYWHERE in your shoes, stay SPD.

The 540s are nice

7. OP
    OP
    tanc

tanc Member

Thanks for the information guys. I'm know going to research and see what happens. I am a bit:banghead: lost in translation.

8. Spiky Simon

Spiky Simon Regular

I have Shimano M530 SPDs on my CX bike (these ones: http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/PESHM530/shimano_m530_spd_pedals). They have a bit more of a platform than most SPD pedals which makes them easy to clip into and it also means it is sort of possible to ride with trainers on, if need be. And recessed cleats mean that walking around with MTB shoes on is no problem.

9. OP
    OP
    tanc

tanc Member

Thanks Simon, I am just figuring that out. Oddly enough I was just looking at those online. (Wow, great price too). Extra cake for you!

Spiky Simon likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    tanc

tanc Member

Thanks to Simon, I have bought my new pedals. I am so excited. :hyper:

11. Spiky Simon

Spiky Simon Regular

Enjoy! Just don't forget to unclip at traffic lights :smile:

MattHB and tanc like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    tanc

tanc Member

No worries, there had training wheels on sale as well. Oh, sorry stabilizers.

13. I'm not sure which model SPDs I use on my cross-bike, but they are a lot more 'open' than the ones on my commuter/trainer, hence allowing mud to fall through/clear
    However, that plan didn't always work out......

[​IMG]

Diogenes likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice