pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I'm seriously considering buying a long wheelbase recumbant. I've never owned a recumbant, but at the moment, I'm considering the Rans Stratus XP.

Here is my question. I've always ridden with the old-fashioned rat-trap pedals with toe clips/straps. Will this type of pedal work ok on a long wheelbase recumbant? Has anyone tried it? I really don't want to go clipless, because I don't want to deal with carrying street shoes to walk around when I get off the bike.

Any thoughts? ( I mean, any thoughts other than that I'm a total idiot for not going clipless?)

Thanks,
Joe

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
What Mr Paul says and get the pedals which are normal on one side and clipped on the other. While the case for using clips on a recumbent is stronger than for uprights, you can still pedal along perfectly happily without them. I've got the clipped/normal set up on my recumbent and it's fine.

banjokat

Using toeclips and straps (with the straps fastened) isn't a great idea on any two wheel recumbent. However, if you must, then a LWB with a low bottom bracket would be the one to do it on.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I have Shimano M324 pedals on my KMX and they are great, clipless on one side and flat platform on the other.
Before I had these pedals I tried using toeclips & straps but found because of the riding position it was a lot more difficult to get my feet in and comfortable.
Toeclips are definately not that practical if you are going to be riding in urban traffic either.

Yes clipless are the answer, gravity will at some point beat the clips and straps and your foot will slide off the pedal.

I favour pedals with a lot of float as I find they do not stress my knees, one of which is wrecked anyway.

Arch

Married to Night Train
banjokat said:
Using toeclips and straps (with the straps fastened) isn't a great idea on any two wheel recumbent. However, if you must, then a LWB with a low bottom bracket would be the one to do it on.

Unless it's one of those very low racers where you can get a hand down instead of a foot.... :smile:

On my trike I use double sided pedals (one side spd, one side plain), and shoes that I can also walk in, which suits me pretty well.

NickM

Veteran
Arch said:
Unless it's one of those very low racers where you can get a hand down instead of a foot.... :biggrin:

If you're constructed like one McD of this parish you can get a hand to the ground while sitting clipped in on an M5 high racer with 700C wheels :biggrin:

It's true, I've seen him do it!

Top Bottom