Pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've been clipless for about a year and a half now, always SPDs.

The current pedals on my road bike are A520's. However I'm getting a bit sick of flipping them over to clip in so I'm thinking about trying SPD-SL's or something. What do people think of these and will pedals of this type be easier to clip into?

ghitchen

Why not use M520s with a clip on both sides?

yenrod

Why not try a duel sided affair...

Though Time RSX's etc...stay vertical when not clipped in them...

Evilcat

Speedplay Zeros: double sided, easy to clip in/out, light, low stack height and adjustable float as well.

EC

bonj2

i've got these
shimano%20m424%20pedals%2004.jpg

would appear to be ideal for what you want...

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
bonj said:
i've got these

Thanks bonj, I had them on my Sirrus before they broke at the spindle, they were good pedals. The lbs was out of them when I tried to get a replacement and I got M520's for the Sirrus and fitted the A520 to the road bike. I was looking for something a bit more sleek on my roadbike and Ive opted for SPD SL's, I'll see how I get on with them.

bonj said:
i've got these

They're pointless pedals, at least the 520s function as both a clip-in and a platform. The plastic cages offer no useable platform, so are no easier to pedal with non cleat shoes than the entry level (and cheaper) 525(?) SPDs upon which they are based.

HLaB said:
Has anybody tried Crank Bros Quattro SL pedals?
Yup. They're on the Sunday best bike, so they haven't done any serious mileage but I like them. The only drawback is that the spindle, where it exits the crank, is very fat and very close to the mechanism. Fine with regular road shoes but I can't wear my 'leisure' shoes as the tread fouls the spindle. Not a huge problem really.

You could always try the Crank Bros Candys. The basic mechanism is very easy to get into and the platform offers plenty of support.

bonj2

mickle said:
They're pointless pedals, at least the 520s function as both a clip-in and a platform. The plastic cages offer no useable platform, so are no easier to pedal with non cleat shoes than the entry level (and cheaper) 525(?) SPDs upon which they are based.

What part of this would you call a platform?
shimano-m520-cyc-plus-main.jpg

They're about as devoid of a platform as you can get.

About my ones being pointless, you may be right - it may be the case that the platform serves no useful purpose. To be honest I do often miss the clip in with my right foot as I tend to clip my right foot in when the pedal's at the top, so I often do one cycle with it not clipped in - to be honest I don't know how much that would be impaired with M520s, I suspect not much - but nevertheless I'm not going to justify spending £20 to save about 30 grams of weight.

Top Bottom