Pedestrian Collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J.Primus

You sound like you actually enjoyed the whole episode.

So let me just confirm, you were going fast downhill in the dark in an urban environment where there were multiple stationary large road vehicles, and you think that your anticipation and judgment skills were unquestionable in the circumstance?

I can't see anything wrong with his (Tynan's in case that isn't clear) anticipation and judgement. How fast would you go on a road where your side is completely clear? Or do you slow to a crawl if cars are parked on the other side of the road?

J.Primus

With people watching their phones and listening to music I think people play less attention than you give them credit. I have had a phone user step onto the road without looking.
I nearly garrotted someone with the collar of their polo neck after they tried to walk into the path of a motorbike going fast whilst listening to their iPod. I figured it was better than getting hit for them and the biker.

Dan B

Disengaged member
With people watching their phones and listening to music I think people play less attention than you give them credit. I have had a phone user step onto the road without looking.
I make no comment on how much attention they're paying, the relevant point here is how fast they're moving.

I make no comment on how much attention they're paying, the relevant point here is how fast they're moving.

The relevant point here is that a someone is crossing where they should not whilst not taking appropriate precautions. If the ped had moved to a mark crosswalk this would not be an issue. If the ped had stopped and looked before stepping out from a lorry this would not have happened.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The relevant point here is that a someone is crossing where they should not whilst not taking appropriate precautions.
No, that's not even vaguely relevant either to your assertion that "This like suggesting that in any bike lane you should haver go faster than 3 mph in case a ped decides to jump into the middle of the lane" or to my response that this is rubbish, as you have plenty of time to adjust your speed and/or direction in order to avoid riding into pedestrians when you can see them moving at walking pace on the footway.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
A
He must have been in secondary if he was riding in a marked cycle lane up the inside of traffic

The cyclist is not at fault at all, the only advantage in slowing is to minimise damage to both parties, even 19 is slower than the general traffic will go if it gets the chance, any pedestrian stupid/unthinking enough to step across a road without being able to see what's coming deserves what they get as a result, I've not hit a pedestrian in a long time but they can step/sprint off a pavement without warning and without looking, you don't need a high sided vehicle (although it helps)

To this day my memorable accident with a pedestrian was a long time ago, in the dark, coming fast down the top of Essex Lane, all on my own, in primary, three women in dark clothing sprinted out from between two buses on the other side of the road, as I shouted a warning they all stopped in a line across my path at which point I hit one absolutely plumb and stopped a rather heavy MTB and 15st of me dead.

I was asked if I'd seen them, they all in black, me in a yellow Nightvision top with lights, I thought that rather rich
Apologies for some reason I had it In my mind the OP was in a bus lane.

Other than that I stand by my comment a disagree with yours. Stationary traffic...with blocked views is a major hazard that deserves extra caution

No, that's not even vaguely relevant either to your assertion that "This like suggesting that in any bike lane you should haver go faster than 3 mph in case a ped decides to jump into the middle of the lane" or to my response that this is rubbish, as you have plenty of time to adjust your speed and/or direction in order to avoid riding into pedestrians when you can see them moving at walking pace on the footway.

If a ped decides to walk into a bike lane 2 feet ahead me odds are good I am going to hit them. If I have no control of when a Ped steps out into a traffic lane I have no responsibility if I hit them.

Dan B

Disengaged member
If a ped decides to walk into a bike lane 2 feet ahead me odds are good I am going to hit them.
Well perhaps you should slow down then, so it won't hurt as much

Tynan

Veteran
there is no speed low enough to avoid a ped stepping out from a blind spot right in front of you

to avoid any chance of knocking them over and breaking their skull you'd have to ride along cycle lanes in traffic at what? 5mph?

yes the slower you go the less chance you have of hurting yourself but that's a risk you accept, the pedestrian can likewise accept their own risk by crossing the road sensibly, does anyone expect cars to drive at 5mph in case a pedestrian jumps out from behind a high sided vehicle? And yet they have a hugely higher chance of killing a pedestrian

the last ped I hit (and knocked unconscious for over an hour) was on a clear road, the span on their heel and ran into the road, i suppose i was going too fast then? I didn't even touch the brake lever it was that sudden, even her friends all told the cops it was entirely her fault

Tynan

Veteran
You sound like you actually enjoyed the whole episode.

So let me just confirm, you were going fast downhill in the dark in an urban environment where there were multiple stationary large road vehicles, and you think that your anticipation and judgment skills were unquestionable in the circumstance?

Why would have i enjoyed it? You've made that up to suit your stance

The urban environment was the top of Essex Road, big and wide, I was in primary in high viz and lights, vehicles were on the other side of the road, my side was clear, you weren't there, I posted that to illustrate that sometimes the accident is unavoidable unless you stay at home in bed

I don't like posting this over and again but if you don't ride in London traffic, you can't appreciate what it's like for hazards

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't like posting this over and again but if you don't ride in London traffic, you can't appreciate what it's like for hazards
This is the cycling equivalent of "you wouldn't understand unless you're a parent", isn't it?

Dan B

Disengaged member
there is no speed low enough to avoid a ped stepping out from a blind spot right in front of you
This would be relevant if cycle lanes were composed entirely of blind spots or if it was impossible to vary the speed of a bicycle to go faster in the parts that are not.