Pedestrian crossings - flashing green man

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I'm sorry but I don't understand the logic of the new ones, you walk up you press the button, you are then looking at the traffic coming, you notice they start to slow then effectively you have to look off to your side before you start to cross. When the green man was on the pole at the opposite side of the road it was much easier & far more logical, well to me anyway

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'm sorry but I don't understand the logic of the new ones, you walk up you press the button, you are then looking at the traffic coming, you notice they start to slow then effectively you have to look off to your side before you start to cross. When the green man was on the pole at the opposite side of the road it was much easier & far more logical, well to me anyway
I'm not convinced either but I think the "problem" was that people were stepping out towards a green man without looking at the traffic and being run over by people who don't stop for red lights. Somehow the "solution" is to make the potential victims look more towards their attackers rather than challenge the attackers' behaviour, such as RLJ cameras and stonking fines and driving bans.

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thanks for the links. Some of these crossings have islands in the middle and I think it's reasonable that people should be able to cross both parts in one go - while the green man is flashing - not get halfway and wonder whether they are safe to continue.

I think there is a consultation on a local plan for the city so that may be the best place for me to make my comments.

To be honest I simply cross when it's safe regardless of lights but sometimes it's difficult to get to the kerb for the throng of obedient pedestrians waiting for their instructions to cross.

classic33

Leg End Member
Thanks for the links. Some of these crossings have islands in the middle and I think it's reasonable that people should be able to cross both parts in one go - while the green man is flashing - not get halfway and wonder whether they are safe to continue.

I think there is a consultation on a local plan for the city so that may be the best place for me to make my comments.

To be honest I simply cross when it's safe regardless of lights but sometimes it's difficult to get to the kerb for the throng of obedient pedestrians waiting for their instructions to cross.
If the crossings are staggerred, they can be treated as two seperate crossings.

I'd forgotten that the UK crossings have flashing green men. They don't here.

What really pi**es me off here is that on road junctions -as opposed to isolated crossings- the button on the pedestrian light is a placebo: the ped lights work in sequence with traffic lights, and on top of that when the Ped light is green, cars turning right can still turn, but they are supposed to wait for you. Its like they are saying "You are only pedestrians so we don't have to actually take you into account when designing junctions for the all important Motorist."

I often get ticked off from busybody pedestrians for crossing when the red man shows and there's no cars in sight, but I think that's safer than trusting a driver to see me when turning and stop.

On the other hand, zebra crossings are much more strictly enforced than in the UK so drivers generally stop when you are waiting to cross.

classic33

Leg End Member
Caution........Regulations for NI are not always identical to those applying in mainland UK.
The timing is the same.

Top Bottom