Pedestrian Zone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Genuinely appalled.

icowden

Veteran
We've been discussing it on NACA. The piece is a little overwrought and has some nonsense in it (he wasn't arrested for being a pedestrian for example), but at the base of it is the somewhat alarming notion that this chap was detained for being at best critical or the police and repeatedly asking for what he was legally entitled to (reasons for detention).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Manchester's local whinging cyclist. His treatment was appaling though.

He's posted a clip where a car in front is indicating left before a junction. Strictly speaking the revised highway code says the driver should let the bike undertake before turning, but most drivers don't know that, so the sensible thing is to slow down and wait. He put himself in danger.

He gets worked up about all sorts. Won't be good for his blood pressure.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
All he had to do was film it and submit it to the police. If they choose to do nothing that is up to them. If this guy wants to pretend to be a police officer, he should sign up and become one. There is obviously more to this story than he would like to admit. Like when the police asked him to move on and he still continued to be an arxe. He would have been arrested to prevent a breach of the peace and not for being a pedestrian. They would not want to be wasting their time and tieing their day up with a man like this.

No doubt in his spare time he goes and glues himself to roads with the other muppets.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
All he had to do was film it and submit it to the police. If they choose to do nothing that is up to them. If this guy wants to pretend to be a police officer, he should sign up and become one. There is obviously more to this story than he would like to admit. Like when the police asked him to move on and he still continued to be an arxe. He would have been arrested to prevent a breach of the peace and not for being a pedestrian. They would not want to be wasting their time and tieing their day up with a man like this.

No doubt in his spare time he goes and glues himself to roads with the other muppets.

It appears you didn’t bother reading the article, Steve.

The police could have easily charged the drivers who were disobeying the ‘no motor vehicles’ sign so they could drive through a pedestrian precinct illegally. Instead, they waved them through. That’s just completely backwards.

Lastly, and you really should know this, the police are the public and the public are the police, the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full-time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a similar incident but cycling.

Leicester City Council Pedestrianised the area around the Clocktower/Haymarket several years ago but being a progressive bunch put designated cycle paths in with appropriate signage (little blue signposts with directions, distances and to make it clear a logo of a bike)
So there I am riding through quite slowly when a PCSO decides to shout at me "Oi get off that bike", I continued towards him and said "Excuse Me" he repeated this telling me it was a pedestrian zone while his oppo (a real policeman) looked decidedly sheepish. I asked the PCSO to turn round and look at the signpost he was stood in front of asking him if he knew what this signage meant. His colleague (the real policeman) muttered sorry and the shouter just went red as I cycled off.

bobzmyunkle

Thank you for your considered opinion.
They would not want to be wasting their time and tieing their day up with a man like this.
But it looks like they did. I think you can safely assume he wasn't arrested for being a pedestrian. Charges against him were later dropped by the CPS - draw your own conclusions. My conclusion is the police involved wasted their time solely because the bloke annoyed them and they thought they'd teach him a lesson.
It does appear the man might be a bit of a knob, but last time I looked that wasn't an arrestable offense.

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along

If I am correct in thinking you were a police officer, Steve, then I think you have just added weight to this guy's arguments.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
If I am correct in thinking you were a police officer, Steve, then I think you have just added weight to this guy's arguments.

I was a police officer over 30 years ago. He does not have any weight in this arguement. The guys a prat. Unless you are of the opinion that you try and uphold the law by breaking the law yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom