Pedestrian Zone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
What law did he break?

Obstructing the highway.

It is the same sort of thing as staying in the outside lane of the motorway at 70mph to block people wanting to drive at 80. You would be guilty of obstruction then, even though they would be breaking the law if they went any faster than you.

You do not have the right to obstruct the highway even if the people you are obstructing would be breaking the law themselves if not obstructed.

But in this sort of case, while he was technically guilty, the CPS are likely to decide it is not in the public interest to proceed with the prosecution - which is most likely why they dropped it.

Slick

Guru
Obstructing the highway.

It is the same sort of thing as staying in the outside lane of the motorway at 70mph to block people wanting to drive at 80. You would be guilty of obstruction then, even though they would be breaking the law if they went any faster than you.

You do not have the right to obstruct the highway even if the people you are obstructing would be breaking the law themselves if not obstructed.

But in this sort of case, while he was technically guilty, the CPS are likely to decide it is not in the public interest to proceed with the prosecution - which is most likely why they dropped it.

Even when it wasn't a highway?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I assume they thought he was blocking the highway, which was of course, ridiculous.

I dont think so. I think they will have asked him to move to get rid of the car and he continued to think he had the right to be a traffic bollard and refused to get out of the way. Probably for a considerable amount of time. Personally, I would have arrested him, got rid of the car and then dearrested him. That could well have been the idea of the police officers. But it depends on how much Mr Bollard elevated the situation. It would be no suprise to hear that he does this type of thing quite regularly in this area.

Maybe this is his last resort to get someone to listen to his complaint. Get arrested and get it in the papers.

Top Bottom