Pedestrians on cycle paths - what's the law?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Does anyone know if a pedestrian is committing an offence by walking in the marked out bike part of a divided shared path?

Is it an offence for a cyclist to ride on the pedestrian side of that path?

If it is what are the penalties? (I know the chances of enforcement are very close to zero)

(Mods: Please move this if the café's not the right place for it).

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
2749236 said:
You are allowed to run them over but only up to a quota of two per month.

Do you get minus points then for more than two per month?

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't mind peds too much so long as they show at least some consideration but my bugbears on these paths are cyclists who won't keep left. Maybe I'm missing the point but I always ride on the left, just like I would on the a normal road yet oncoming cyclists often come straight at me and force me to swerve to the wrong side.

Some day I'm going to call their bluff and stop dead and either make them swerve or deflect them into a fall:evil:

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
As I understand it, a cyclist can be penalised for inconsiderate, reckless etc cycling, but there are no such requirements for pedestrians, who can wander all over except where it is expressly prohibited, such as on motorways.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
The question about right of way was asked at one of the local council's Cycle Forum meetings and the response then was that the pedestrian has the right to use all of the path, but the cyclist only has the right to use the part marked as a cycle lane and is technically comitting an offence if they cross the dividing line (same as riding on a pavement)

They didn't go into details about penalties and as already mentioned it is doubtful whether it would get enforced anyway.

Edit: posted too slow again.:laugh:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Davidc

Davidc

Guru
Thanks for those answers.

I've asked because I left my name and contact number with a ped and cyclist. Ped stepped into the cycle lane, got hit. Bent front wheel on the bike, ped may have difficulty breeding. Bike rider has BC legal assistance and phoned it, ped says he has same on his insurance and blames the cyclist!

I said I'd be prepared to talk to any legal representatives of either. I refused to say who I thought to blame.

It was close to me being involved. Full marks go to Shimano V brakes and kool stop pads!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Personally I would slow right down in the proximity of peds, because they just walk anywhere without looking. I'd sooner stop and be in the right, than run into them and be wrong.

clockman

Über Member
As hinted by others, the pedestrian will have right of way. I think in this situation, rules 13 & 62 of the Highway Code apply. Basically, a cyclist must ALWAYS be prepared to slow down and/or stop, when using a shared path/cycle way.
To be honest, I would think that you need to be aware of any pedestrian as they will always be unpredictable.
I would also be very cautious of oncoming cyclists. They can be just as unpredictable and in my experience as arrogant to other cyclists as motorists!

P.H

Über Member
If a cycle path is created out of an existing footpath, then pedestrians retain the right to walk on all parts of that path - even if there are clearly marked 'pedestrian' and 'cyclist' areas. That right cannot be removed.

In such circumstances, cyclists are entitled only to use the area marked for their use.

Does it matter where it's created from? I can't think of a single example of a cycle lane where pedestrians don't have a right to be.

Sara_H

Guru
I'm usually very lovey and smiley when I'm riding on splt paths. But when I was coming home in rush hour the other day along a marked cycle path that ran along side the footpath I got heartily sick of the numbers of idiots walking in fromt of me, whole crowds of them at points forcing me to stop.

It's really stupid.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm usually very lovey and smiley when I'm riding on splt paths. But when I was coming home in rush hour the other day along a marked cycle path that ran along side the footpath I got heartily sick of the numbers of idiots walking in fromt of me, whole crowds of them at points forcing me to stop.

It's really stupid.

yeah, bloody pedestrians slowing down traffic, don't pay road tax nor nuffing !

Top Bottom