Pedestrians on shared/segregated cycle paths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dondare

Über Member
Matthames said:
There is another type that I find on these sorts of paths quite often that I find quite infuriating, they are the riders who think their BSO is a unicycle and ride it as thus. I find it infuriating as they are usually weaving all over the place at 5 mph and I want to get past.

These are the youtube heroes of the future. (I mean the cyclist equivalent of free-runners and cunning-stunters rather than McCameratrons.)

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
dondare said:
These are the youtube heroes of the future. (I mean the cyclist equivalent of free-runners and cunning-stunters rather than McCameratrons.)

The future danny MacAskill? i doubt it.

dondare

Über Member
Ravenbait said:
I humbly suggest that all those experiencing difficulties using cycle paths should ride on the road.

Sam

Cycle paths can have some advantages, such as much lower levels of pollution and better scenery which is why I sometimes use them. I just make sure that I know and understand the rules, know and understand the potential hazards and ride accordingly.
The worst cycling injury I ever had was on a shared-use path. Or rather, just off it as the overgrowth of vegitation made the path unusable. My wheel dropped into a rut, the bike went over and I hit the ground so hard that one lung partially deflated. No-one else or their dog was involved.

Don't think I have ever had a accident on a cycle path (Touchwood)...will have to think about it but as I say can't think of any.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I nearly rogered some pedestrians by Oval today, on the road. Came round the corner, aimed behind them, and they did the funky chicken, and ran back. My camera crashed, but I did manage to brake to avoid them.

BentMikey said:
I nearly rogered some pedestrians by Oval today, on the road. Came round the corner, aimed behind them, and they did the funky chicken, and ran back. My camera crashed, but I did manage to brake to avoid them.

Im shocked at you BM.:wacko:

I don't find peds too bad...it works better if you are patient with them I find...sometimes I get a nice smile or thankyou...and I learn't how to behave around peds from people on here.:bravo:

Patience and don't be in such a bloody hurry.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Nah, it wasn't intentional. I came round the corner and they were in the middle of the road, I got almost as big a surprise as they did. I was going at a speed I could stop in the distance I could see to be clear.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
hackbike 666 said:
Im shocked at you BM.:wacko:

I don't find peds too bad...it works better if you are patient with them I find...sometimes I get a nice smile or thankyou...and I learn't how to behave around peds from people on here.:bravo:

Patience and don't be in such a bloody hurry.

Patience doesn't always work, sometimes they'll lash out at you for being patient (this isn't unique to cyclists, other road users do it to each other). You just have to take it on the chin though those times.

marinyork said:
Patience doesn't always work, sometimes they'll lash out at you for being patient (this isn't unique to cyclists, other road users do it to each other). You just have to take it on the chin though those times.

Yes I know it isn't always wine and roses but im no saint either.:wacko:

Sam Kennedy

Ravenbait said:
I humbly suggest that all those experiencing difficulties using cycle paths should ride on the road.

Sam

+1

I had to use a cycle path yesterday to meet my friend, I was in lycra at the time, so felt a bit out of place :wacko:

I'm introducing him to road riding, I really think everyone should learn how to cycle on the road, and not just hide on the path. (like I used to, until I joined a road club)

GrasB

Veteran
gaz said:
If using the shared cycle path / pavement. you should be prepared to stop at any moment on your trip. Anything above 14mph in my opinion is too fast and you should be on the road.
Try telling that to an irate motorist as you cruise along in the 20-25mph area. :biggrin:

jonesy

Guru
GrasB said:
Try telling that to an irate motorist as you cruise along in the 20-25mph area. :sad:

:smile:

Gaz's comment was not only sensible advice but in line with official guidance on the use of shared use paths. wtf has the views of an 'irate motorist' got to do with how fast it is reasonable to cycle on a shared path?

Top Bottom