Pedestrians on shared/segregated cycle paths

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuinnDexter

On Cycle paths you should treat Peds with respect and expect them to be either

1. Deaf
2. Dumb
3. Deaf + Dumb

If I am approaching from behind, I usually use the bell or a polite "Excuse me" and slow down but get close enough to get them to move. If I'm approaching them from the front then they usually act like rabbits and either stop where they are, move in the wrong direction or just don't move and curse you.

Peds are unpredictable and 9/10 they can't hear you. Failing that, a quick slap with your glove as you go past works a treat as well.

ferret fur

Anyway. You say "but it was 22:00 in Pilton" like that explains everything. It's a cycle path in North Edinburgh. It goes through Pilton
Yes, but I think you are blaming the cyclepath for the ills of the neighbourhood. I am one who knows. I am a shift worker and used to have to travel through this area (including the cyclepath) between 10:30 & 11:00 at night. I can tell you it isn't much fun on the roads either. The traffic lights at crewe toll at that time of night was the only occasion where I broke my strict rule about RLJ. Purely because of the risk of remaining stopped for any length of time in front of a certain type of audience. I did get trouble on the path & even tried switching to the roads: Even worse I'm afraid because the inhabitants had the additional use of large metal implements with four wheels & I went back to using the path. In fact on Friday/Saturday nights in summer I would often resort to using the car rather than riding. Sure: Cyclepaths do have a risk of being in a secluded place at an unfortunate time & I certainly wouldn't use that route for pleasure at certain times of day, but then neither would I ride on those roads

Top Bottom