Pedestrians stepping backwards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
One aspect of the recent much publicised pedestrian death, and very possibly the previous one several years ago is the direction of travel of the pedestrian. It seems to be a natural reaction when under stress to retreat back to the safety if the curb by stepping back, into the previously empty space thstthe cyclist is aiming for.
You can see it on many helmet cam videos.
We should build this behaviour into our reaction to pedestrians stepping out. I we squeeze in between pedestrian and curb to avoid hitting the ped, dont be surprised to find them stepping back into your path.

Drago

Legendary Member
We all know pedestrians can do the damndest things. All road users should adjust their speed, positioning and road behaviour when pedestrians are about in the expectation that they will continue to do the damndest things.

The world is full of unpredictable actions.
Most of my experience these days is Trans Pennine Trail. If you say you're going left or right most people round here will split to both sides, or step to the side you say you're passing on.
I've found its best to just say excuse me and wait.
I've no reason to hurry and have the patience but strava chasers get themselves in real messes.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
One aspect of the recent much publicised pedestrian death, and very possibly the previous one several years ago is the direction of travel of the pedestrian. It seems to be a natural reaction when under stress to retreat back to the safety if the curb by stepping back, into the previously empty space thstthe cyclist is aiming for.
You can see it on many helmet cam videos.
We should build this behaviour into our reaction to pedestrians stepping out. I we squeeze in between pedestrian and curb to avoid hitting the ped, dont be surprised to find them stepping back into your path.

That happened to me a couple of months ago. A pedestrian started to cross in front of me just as the lights were changing from red to green. I let her pass in front of me, then moved off, at which point she decided she wasn't going to risk tangling with the car in the outside lane and stepped back right in front of me.

Even though I was probably only doing about 3 mph at that point, she went down when I hit her, though happily didn't do any damage to herself in the process.

But I was lucky - as Charlie Alliston found out, it's not the collision with the bike that kills you, it's your head hitting the ground on the way down.

Lesson learned.

classic33

Leg End Member
If you're on a shared path that does not work because of people coming in opposite direction! There is no perfect answer though.
Get off the path, onto the road.

Drago

Legendary Member
My local park used to have a dotted white line down the centre of the path with painted signs for bikes on one side and pedestrians the other. Everyone ignored it. It's gone now.

Milton Keynes tried a similar scheme, albeit without the paint. They came up with the "Redway Code", which sternly advised cyclists to cycle on the left, and pedestrians to walk in the right.

All well and good, until you meet someone coming in the opposite direction. Sufficeth to say that by lunchtime on the day of publication it was being comprehensively ignored.

Top Bottom