Pembrokeshire to Suffolk coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

riccardo

Am planning sponsored 7-8 day trip with my son, half my age at 30, from St Davids to Southwold in September so about 70 miles a day. He is keen to use his road bike but we are both keen to avoid traffic and busy roads. I wonder if using Sustrans routes and the Celtic trail means we need hybrid bikes rather than road?

Am an about to get fitter average casual cyclist - never done anything more than 20 miles - and would welcome any advice both for the South Wales bit and for travelling across England - likely Oxford, Cambridge direction. As cycling softies my wife will be in a car as back up carrying everything for us!

Thanks

RIccardo

robgul

Legendary Member
We rode from St David's (westernmost point in Wales) to Lowestoft (easternmost point in England) in 2006 - using lanes and B roads for almost the whole way. I would avoid Sustrans routes as they'll slow you down with gates and deviations ... and probably have dubious surfaces.

Apart from a couple of hills in Wales it was all pretty benign - I was on Galaxy tourer, Steve on Giant MTB with slicks and Martin on a Saracen hybrid ... Martin (who rode just the second half) had hardly ridden a bike before ... he survived!

There's some info on my E2E website (well, it's Side to Side!) at http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk/in...oklibrary&task=view&id=123&catid=52&Itemid=93 ... and even a ready-made route map available ,,,,,,

Rob

OP
OP
R

riccardo

Thanks Rob - that's really very helpful; sounds a great fun trip; we may decide to stay south in Wales and follow the coast where possible to Chepstow rather than go across the middle. Useful advice about Sustrans.
Any advice from others who know the routes very welcome!
Cheers
Riccardo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I live in the Vale of Glamorgan so can suggest a route from Bridgend to Chepstow if you want me to. following the coast will add a few miles but be a bit more pleasant . Theres no real way of avoiding some bits of the A48 after Cardiff but if you aim to go through Cardiff / Newport not during rush hour its fine. Much of the A48 route around Newport has a wide smooth shared path running alongside which doesnt have many pedestrians.

I also have quite a pleasant route between Chepstow and Malmesbury which I have ridden a few times (Only one substantial climb and thats on a quite road coming off Hawkesbury Common up to the Somerset monument.).

Route here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4024671

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

riccardo

I live in the Vale of Glamorgan so can suggest a route from Bridgend to Chepstow if you want me to. following the coast will add a few miles but be a bit more pleasant . Theres no real way of avoiding some bits of the A48 after Cardiff but if you aim to go through Cardiff / Newport not during rush hour its fine. Much of the A48 route around Newport has a wide smooth shared path running alongside which doesnt have many pedestrians.

I also have quite a pleasant route between Chepstow and Malmesbury which I have ridden a few times (Only one substantial climb and thats on a quite road coming off Hawkesbury Common up to the Somerset monument.).

Route here http://ridewithgps.com/routes/4024671
Thanks Banjo - that sounds good; it helps a lot to have local knowledge! Riccardo

Top Bottom