Pendle to Scotland and back by eeeeeBike for Clarion House

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
(Hope this sort of fits the format)
Event title: Pendle to Scotland and back by eeeeeBike
Event date/s: Starting this weekend if the weather stays good
Event location: Roads and gravel
Minimum sponsorship: no minimum
Beneficiary: The Clarion House
Event link: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/alex-whitlock

I am attempting to cycle to Scotland and back from Pendle on an eBike to raise a few bucks to donate toward the running of the Clarion House twixt Roughlee and Newchurch. It will be a round trip of over 400 miles (650 km).
If I am lucky with weather & recharging places, it should take a week or so to do it. It is a tricky venture, logistically speaking to undertake on a laden ebike in cold weather, which is part of the allure. Just hope I don't end up kipping in a hedge at nights.
Clarion House has been a regular haunt of mine in the last year or so. It is the last survivor of a network of such volunteer run tea rooms set up to provide somewhere for workers, usually mill workers in this area, to walk or cycle to on their day off.
Regardless of what one thinks of the politics of those that established it, Clarion House has offered a rare and valuable resource every Sunday of the year for the last 110 years, to a group of people that were not catered for beforehand. Walkers and cyclists can avail themselves of the shelter and facilities it offers (including a couple of ebike recharging stations) and buy a pint of freshly brewed tea for 60p.
From its inception it has provided a place for the less well off of Pendle to go to on a Sunday without having to pay a fortune for a drink or snack. My preference is for a pint of tea or a additive free(ish) soft drink (dependant on weather) and a sesame snap.
This historic little building with it's wonderful views is always grateful for donations to help with the running and maintenance and I would like to do my bit.
It is enlightened self interest. I want to keep the place going even though I am not a member of the ILP - neither are most of the people who use it. It's a great place and had the last working long drops in Lancashire. They are still there but have been superseded by more modern facilities.
I hope to raise some dosh for the place with my ride and would grateful to all who would like to make a modest donation. Please help keep this wonderful piece of living history alive.
If you want to ride part of the way with me, or can offer a power point for me to recharge the bike at, that would be most welcome too. If you can, you should do a walk or ride to the Clarion yourself - I reckon it will be a memorable experience for you.
All donations, however modest, much appreciated.
Thank you
DSC_9343.JPG

ps. Thanks for letting me post this

oldwheels

Legendary Member
What do you mean by "Scotland". It is bigger than Pendle, in fact a few hundred miles miles bigger.
Not much annoys me but this lazy thinking always has.:angry:

OP
OP
FrothNinja

FrothNinja

Veteran
What do you mean by "Scotland". It is bigger than Pendle, in fact a few hundred miles miles bigger.
Not much annoys me but this lazy thinking always has.:angry:
A farm in the hills near Lesmahagow via the Nith valley. Hope that reduces your pressure.
I do reserve the right to indulge in the freedom of the road, to deviate and follow alternative routes dependent on whim and other conditions, hence nebulous destination. The main objective is to do 400sh miles, cross the border, and return.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
A farm in the hills near Lesmahagow via the Nith valley. Hope that reduces your pressure.
I do reserve the right to indulge in the freedom of the road, to deviate and follow alternative routes dependent on whim and other conditions, hence nebulous destination. The main objective is to do 400sh miles, cross the border, and return.
I admit I was a bit short with you and apologise for that. A positive destination is always better but too many people use the term "Scotland" as if it were some some small village somewhere.

Top Bottom