Pendleton Drake - Storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adeola

Hi all,

I recently bought a new bike. I am new to this cycling thing so didn't want to spend too much money on something.
Anyway, I bought a Pendleton Drake - yes I know it's not the best. However, I find that it rides nicely. My only concern is storage. I bought it from Halfords (yes, I know), they said that a basket and/or rack couldn't fit onto it. Surely something should be able to fit?
Any suggestions?

Hi, welcome! something like this possibly? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Bicy...qid=1492409237&sr=8-14&keywords=seat+post+bag

There are many variations; Google 'seatpost rack', probably depends on how much stuff you want to carry etc. You could also search handlebar bags, might turn up something, or just plain old saddlebags.

Hi all,

I recently bought a new bike. I am new to this cycling thing so didn't want to spend too much money on something.
Anyway, I bought a Pendleton Drake - yes I know it's not the best. However, I find that it rides nicely. My only concern is storage. I bought it from Halfords (yes, I know), they said that a basket and/or rack couldn't fit onto it. Surely something should be able to fit?
Any suggestions?

That is not a bad bike, and there is nothing (or very little) that cannot be done!

A quick Google appears to show two threaded holes by the rear axle and a bolt on the rear tube

These are usable for a rack fitting, and any local bike shop should be able to fit a rack without any problems

Baskets are slightly different, again from the Google image, the issue would be the fact that the basket could hamper the gears and brakes

Again not a big issue, there is a company called Rixen and Kaul who make handlebar fittings that extend slightly forward allowing a basket to be fitted

Again a good local bike shop would be able to help

Contact @Pat "5mph" if you need help and do not have a local bike shop.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice bike, good value for money too. Excellent choice as you don't want to spend a fortune. My Halfords (Bodmin) is excellent, I know some are not so excellent, but down where we are we have a couple of awesome Halfords Bike Huts so don't feel bad about buying from them for a minute.

13 rider

Guru
As @Saluki says nice bike but service at Halfords does vary so don't take their word as totally correct . A saddle bag is an easy answer but depends on what you want to carry . I'm sure a rear rack and panniers could be fitted . If your not me mechanically minded . Don't be afraid to visit what we call an Lbs local bike shop ie a small independent shop take the bike and ask the question most shops will be helpful as returning customers is there bread and butter . Oh and enjoying riding

si_c

Guru
Not sure why you can't fit a basket. If you have an inch or so clear either side of the handlebar clamp you can fit one easily. But be aware that they can be limited in terms of carrying weight (usually between 3-5kg.) as the easy release clamps can't hold too much.

A better option would be if you had a little seat post showing to use a seat post clamped rack and bag, something like the Topeak Beam Rack. As you can put a bag on the back and easily remove it when going inside.

e-rider

crappy member
Hi all,

Any suggestions?
Halfords are WRONG (as usual) - perhaps what they meant to say was that 'they' didn't have a rack or basket that would fit, or that 'they' couldn't fit one due to being useless. The Pendleton Drake looks like a very 'normal' bike and has all the frame fittings in place to fit a rear rack. As for a front handlebar bag or basket, you just need to consider how the cables might get in the way, otherwise simple!

OP
OP
Adeola

Adeola

I knew they had to be wrong. I've visited my local bike shop (because I know what Halfords are like) who have said they'll rebuild the bike for me. I guess when I do that, I'll also get something to fit into it for storage.

The handlebar bags look good though. Very easy and convenient.

e-rider

crappy member
just bear in mind that with some handlebar bags, you can no longer see the front wheel, so precision dodging of potholes becomes more difficult

Julia9054

Guru
just bear in mind that with some handlebar bags, you can no longer see the front wheel, so precision dodging of potholes becomes more difficult
Ooh - just remembered hitting a pothole heavily on the way back from the supermarket, smashing a bottle of peri peri sauce in my basket. Everything covered in the stuff!

OP
OP
Adeola

Adeola

Why does it need rebuilding when you say it rides nicely?
Because I want to make sure it's built perfectly. And although I think it rides nicely, there is a possibility it could ride better. I know that Halfords don't pay so much attention to detail regarding the building.

vickster

Legendary Member
Because I want to make sure it's built perfectly. And although I think it rides nicely, there is a possibility it could ride better. I know that Halfords don't pay so much attention to detail regarding the building.
Many Halfords stores are quite competent but it's your money :smile: you could also learn to do the maintenance yourself, as a minimum learn how to to replace a punctured inner tube and which bits and bolts to check regularly, how to adjust gears etc

Top Bottom