Perennial question about lightweight all day waterproofs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Gore shakedry . Expensive but the best I've used , no hood though

I use an Under-Armour Accelerate Long jacket:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183799131423 (£155 + VAT)
Proper cycling length drop tail, and a roll-away hood, UK rather than Italian sizing.

Shakedry is more breathable than anything else, lasts well in terms of keeping the water repellency, but isn't very abrasion resistant (hence the no backpacks warning), so I keep mine in a small stuff sack when not wearing it. It will also be easily damaged if you crash whilst wearing it, or snag it on a trailside thorn

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
From what I’ve read, the material is pretty delicate and prone to damage which sounds poor given the high cost especially for utility or touring use!
How about something like this?
https://www.rapha.cc/gb/en/shop/explore-hooded-gore-tex-pullover/product/EHR01XXDNYXSM?

I have had my Gore C? Shakedry Jacket for about 3 years. There is nothing fragile, except the feel, to them. I use it winter and summer. In Autumn and Winter I wear it all the time as a wind blocker. The Gore label on the Chester has just started to wear off. But it does a great job.

My initial concern was that it is so flimsy it would never last. I have been proved wrong. They are really tough. I bought the C3 pants last year. A slightly different material. But excellent.

freiston

Veteran
Hive opinion please what of the available crop of lightweight all day waterproofs will actually keep you dry all day?
Will be used quite a bit on and off road.
I prefer a hooded jacket but small pack size takes precedence over that.

Many thanks

In my experience, it's sweat that gets me wet not rain and I can get wet with no rain and no waterproofs on. I've had expensive "breathable" waterproofs for walking as well as cycling and the best thing I can do to keep relatively dry is to slow down or get plenty of ventilation. If I'm active in any zipped up waterproof trouser or jacket, I am going to get very damp from the inside.

I suspect that it's not what you want but I gave up on waterproof trousers & jackets and went back to a traditional type cape that goes over the handlebars and the back of the seat - mine does get some condensation inside but it's not like wearing a jacket and it isn't a problem like it is with a jacket and/or trousers. I have a Carradice Pro Route cape that weighs about 380g, rolls up to about the size of a small bidon and keeps me dry from the waist down too. Riding all day in heavy rain, it has been a godsend and I can even feel quite smug about how dry and comfy I am.

Jameshow

Veteran
Hive opinion please what of the available crop of lightweight all day waterproofs will actually keep you dry all day?
Will be used quite a bit on and off road.
I prefer a hooded jacket but small pack size takes precedence over that.

Many thanks

I have a boardman lightweight jacket which I take out autumn to spring

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boardman-Waterproof-Jacket-Medium/dp/B07GTMZY5W

Later boardman jackets are heavier.

and a heavier Lidl winter jacket.

Neither have hoods as you don't need them for cycling.

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
I have a boardman lightweight jacket which I taken out autumn to spring and a heavier Lidl winter jacket. Neither have hoods as you don't need them for cycling.

I find that a strange thing to say. No-one needs a rain jacket for cycling but you can still buy them and people still want them and use them. Some cycle rain jackets and capes do have hoods. Some people like hoods some don't. My cape has a hood but I don't use it.

I have ridden all day in torrential cold rain in Paramo and stayed comfortable. It us my everyday windproof and all weather jacket from Sept to May. It fails the lightweight test and is for wearing not carrying. My upper temp is 16C but many report a lower limit. Too warm for many riders and too bulky to carry in a bag.

Top Bottom