Perhaps this should be in training thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mac66

I saw Braniac the other day.

Mr Tickle showed that if you put your thumb in your mouth, make a seal round it and blow, but ensuring no air escape, it lowers your heart rate. Something to do with stimulation of the vagus nerve.

So will this catch on as the latest training tip for cyclists who's HR is maxing out?

Imagine, a chain gang of thumb suckers!

Mac66 said:

Mr Tickle showed that if you put your thumb in your mouth, make a seal round it and blow, but ensuring no air escape, it lowers your heart rate. Something to do with stimulation of the vagus nerve.

So will this catch on as the latest training tip for cyclists who's HR is maxing out?

The vagus nerve is the one that can make you pass out when peeing, isn't it?

OP
OP
Mac66

Mac66

Aint Skeered said:
I will try this tonight with the wife. I might sustitute the thumb with something else:evil:

Yeah can see it now. Err excuse me missus just want to try a cycle training technique.:evil:

Mac66 said:
Don't know. But do you pass out often:biggrin:

Yeah it only happens to blokes. The act of peeing can put pressure on the vagus (I think) nerve, which slows the heart rate so much that you can actually pass out. It happened to my husband once, who has a naturally slower heart rate anyway. He just crashed over backwards mid-pee. I know a couple of other guys who have experienced this too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Kirstie said:
Yeah it only happens to blokes. The act of peeing can put pressure on the vagus (I think) nerve, which slows the heart rate so much that you can actually pass out. It happened to my husband once, who has a naturally slower heart rate anyway. He just crashed over backwards mid-pee. I know a couple of other guys who have experienced this too.

Was it after 8 pints of old fart special ?

rich p said:
Was it after 8 pints of old fart special ?

No he was sober.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Kirstie said:

i actually managed to put it away, so to speak, before heading to the bedroom and falling down the stairs. i next can recall lying on the floor, listening to my wife saying "he's coming round" and thinking that it was an odd time of night to be inviting folk over.

yenrod

Mac66 said:

Never mind putting your thumb in your mouth on a chainy - i'm trying to breath outta my arse the majority of the time, as well as the mouth.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Kirstie said:
Now I understand why I had to do it the laydee way when I 1st went on meds for blood pressure as I kept fainting

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
THe vagus nerve connects brain, heart, lungs and stomach. One effect that the vagus nerve has, and I think we have all experienced it, is the 'ice cream headache' What happens if you eat ice cream fast? The other well known effect is if someone falls into cold water and the heart stops due to vagal inhibition,

Top Bottom