Perils of riding with a back pack

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I read elsewhere on the forum someone asking about touring with a back pack. It brought to mind something I saw years ago. I was working at the time on a Tug on the river Tees and at the end of the day I had to stay behind to do a little maintainance work so I was about 1 & 1/2 hours late going home. As I was cycling along what was known locally as the Black Path I saw some commotion a little way ahead and as I approached I saw it was one of my workmates in the process of being arrested by by the police. What had happened was he had been stealing scrap metal and was trying to ride his bike with a haversack full of copper & brass. as you can imagine his centre of gravity was way too high for safety and naturally he fell off the bike. As it happened he finished up laid on his back pinned down by the weight of his bag and as he was not able to wriggle out of it either he was still there when a security man was passing on his way home about an hour later.

Drago

Legendary Member
I steal it bit by bit, smuggled out in my teeth as fillings.

Globalti

Legendary Member
If he did fall in the canal he would zinc.

I cunningly steal metal only when it's already been cut, welded and assembled into a diamond-shaped frame, mounted on two thin, spoked wheels. I ensure that the leading wheel has the facility to steer and the rear one can be driven through a system of pedals, gears and a chain.

I then have a saddle built up and a set of brake and gear controls attached to the steering mechanism.

All I have to do then is strap it to my back, sneak out to the bike sheds and wobble home on my bicycle with it across my shoulders.

Top Bottom