Perseids tonight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

midlife

Guru
Yep. Going to have a wander into the garden later :smile:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I might pop out on the bike, away from the light pollution of the town.

Katherine

Guru
I've just been down on the beach watching the sky.... a beautiful clear starry sky and a meteor shower too! I saw lots of flashes some brighter and longer than others. Anyone who stays up tonight is in for quite a show later. They were quite intermittent and in between I listened to the waves and looked at the lights across the bay. (On holiday in Marazion)

winjim

Smash the cistern
Beautiful clear skies here in Sheffield. Saw a couple while I was bringing the washing in about half an hour ago.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I might have a wander out in a bit, but i have a 100% track record of going out specifically to see a meteor shower, and not seeing a single meteor. I saw a spectacular one in '99 when i wasn't expecting it, and a pretty good one in about '97, also unexpected (even heard one of them! (unless something else went 'schwoooom' at the exact moment it shot across the sky (it's not an easy sound to spell))).

PeteXXX

IMG_2884.JPG

Sat on Pitsford dam wall. Quite a few spotted so far!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 4916289, member: 9609"]I don't think you can hear them (unless it plugged into the ground next to you). I guess when you see them they are 50 mile away, so that would be lots of seconds or may be minutes. (50/750*60*60= 4 minutes ?????)

...[/QUOTE]

that's been on my mind ever since.... surely the bit of atmosphere it burnt through was too far away for the sound to carry to me... but i and the person i was with heard something right at the moment it streaked across the sky.

anywhoo, went out and saw four meteors and two satellites and one airliner... so i'm happy. :smile:

PeteXXX

[QUOTE 4916357, member: 9609"]are you sure, i have been watching the little movie you posted for about 10 minutes now and havn't seen them[/QUOTE]
IMG_2895.JPG

I took a photo as well but missed it :sad:

winjim

Smash the cistern
that's been on my mind ever since.... surely the bit of atmosphere it burnt through was too far away for the sound to carry to me... but i and the person i was with heard something right at the moment it streaked across the sky.

anywhoo, went out and saw four meteors and two satellites and one airliner... so i'm happy. :smile:
You're happy to see an airliner? Come to my house, you'll see loads of 'em. I was always happy as a kid to see Concorde going over though.

Top Bottom