Persistent lower back pain, need help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dude7691

Hi all,

Posted here a few days ago explaining how moving the saddle forward didn't help my plight with lower back pain, but in fact made it worse. I think I lightly pulled a muscle in my left lower back as I've been having issues stretching it lately (pain). I've posted some pics here of my position and I just want to see if anything is blatantly wrong. I went out for a 15 mile ride again tonight, with my saddle in its standard position back where it was after my problems last time so a position I'm comfortable with basically. All was going okay (had some light fatigue) in my back muscles until I got to the final hill at the end of the ride. On the 5% part of the climb it was just fine, but when the gradient went above 10%, I tried to add power and my back would not comply, major cramps and pains across my whole back. I naturally eased right back on the power, went in my lowest gear and just spun as slowly as I could up the hill to avoid any more injury. I just want to see if there's anything blatantly wrong to the more experienced among you with my position. I'm not aiming to be aero just yet, just comfortable. I occasionally bend slightly forward if I'm going downhill to make myself a bit more aero but on the flats and uphills I'm sitting in the position you see here. I did a decent amount of standing today too, and rode with a high cadence to try and take the strain off my lower back.

I have my saddle tilted forward 1.7 degrees.

Sorry to be a pain I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this :smile:

Pics at 12 o clock, 3 o clock and 6 o clock pedal position. Bike level, stationary.

Attachments

• IMG_20200803_220927.jpg
    IMG_20200803_220927.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200803_222147.jpg
    IMG_20200803_222147.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200803_220958.jpg
    IMG_20200803_220958.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 13

Slick

Guru
Doesn't look an awful lot there that could possibly cause back pain on a 15 mile ride. Have you tried stretching before and after, maybe even treating yourself to a sports massage? Unlikely to have any correlation to whatever issues you are having but they reckon a lot of my lower back issues are coming g from my legs rotating one side of my pelvis forward and one side backwards. The cure, regular leg massages. Bummer huh. :okay:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Doesn't look an awful lot there that could possibly cause back pain on a 15 mile ride. Have you tried stretching before and after, maybe even treating yourself to a sports massage? Unlikely to have any correlation to whatever issues you are having but they reckon a lot of my lower back issues are coming g from my legs rotating one side of my pelvis forward and one side backwards. The cure, regular leg massages. Bummer huh. :okay:
I didn't stretch before today, so I will definitely be doing that next time. I've been doing yoga 3 times a week this week to try and cure the issue, and it did seem better on the flats. That makes sense! And haha what a shame ;) Maybe lowering my saddle just a few mm would help stop any potential issues rotating my pelvis? Shame because I know I'll lose power but it's no good having all the leverage if I can't use it.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Your arms look rather straight? Is the bike a bit big?
I'm not sure vick! It doesn't feel it to me, I certainly don't feel like I'm overstretching. I would move the handlebars closer but I can't, spacers are already maxed out.

The only way to reduce my reach further would be to either move the saddle forward (tried that, had disasterous results) or to lower the saddle slightly, but on the flats and shallow hills I'm so powerful with the saddle at this height so that would be last resort for me.

I know size guides mean jack but the guide said it's for people 5ft 5 to 5ft 8, and I'm 5ft 9 so I don't think it's a sizing issue.

vickster

Legendary Member
Shorter stem to reduce the reach?
Can you take photos without whatever that is on the handlebars??

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Too upright, arms too locked out and, But difficult to tell as one foot on floor, saddle a bit low.

I'd also recommend some rest days at first too, or build up slower. It does take a fair amount of back strength riding a bike. You do get quite large muscles either side of your spine, so much so you won't have a boney back, but this takes time.

I had a period of time when I'd not been riding much, then got back on my race bike, and my god did it hurt after an hour. Eventually went away once I rode more often.

I've recovered from a broken spine more recently and that took a few years to sort out the back pain when riding, and thats with bikes that alreafy fitted me.

Have you previously had any back issues. Could be worth a visit to a physio to check for tight glutes or hamstrings or any other issue. Failing that, GP, but not at the moment.

vickster

Legendary Member
Too upright, arms too locked out and, But difficult to tell as one foot on floor, saddle a bit low.

I'd also recommend some rest days at first too, or build up slower. It does take a fair amount of back strength riding a bike. You do get quite large muscles either side of your spine, so much so you won't have a boney back, but this takes time.

I had a period of time when I'd not been riding much, then got back on my race bike, and my god did it hurt after an hour. Eventually went away once I rode more often.

I've recovered from a broken spine more recently and that took a few years to sort out the back pain when riding, and thats with bikes that alreafy fitted me.

Have you previously had any back issues. Could be worth a visit to a physio to check for tight glutes or hamstrings or any other issue. Failing that, GP, but not at the moment.
GPs are open :scratch:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

I've been riding 3 times a week generally, 1-2 rest days in between each one. I agree, your back is obviously supporting quite a lot of load for an extended period when it's not normally used to it.

I'm hoping eventually it does go away as I build strength in my back, especially with yoga too hopefully that will help at least resolve that part of the equation. Stronger back and more flexible means you can withstand more extreme positions for longer.

No previous back issues as far as I know, I don't get pain day to day, just on the bike. I think that's a good shout, I do stretch my hamstrings after every ride and my quads too. I'm quite hamstring dependent so I'm imagining that will put some strain on my lower back and pelvis.

Top Bottom