person who stole bike called cops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shadesman89

it was my worst dream, my brand new fuji sl 2.5 was stolen. i had just put my accessories on too. so recently i was walking to a nearby starbucks when i saw my bike. i knew this was my bike since it had the exact same scratches and the exact same saddle bag and accessories, however when i tried to get it, the "owner" came out and claimed i was stealing his bike. So i asked him where he got it, and he answered he bought it from performance bikes. he then calls the police ON ME. the police shows up and he explains how that bike was his, and i tell the cops it was my bike, and they ask for the serial number. But i forgot the serial number. as i write this i am talking to the police right now what should i do? I am completely sure it is my bike sorry for post i am new.

i attend UW in united states i am foreign student

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Run for it !

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Can you prove it is yours in any way.... .?

Too late for you now but I have photos of my bike including frame number, scratches and non standard bits on my phone, it's one of my nightmares that some day I might have to prove its mine!

Brand new? Then someone can verify you purchased it surely? Invoices? Transaction records? How about your original report to the police that someone had stolen it? You are not thinking this through and haven't done so from the minute you touched that bike. Brand new bikes don't just fall on your lap without any records at all.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Brand new? Then someone can verify you purchased it surely? Invoices? Transaction records? How about your original report to the police that someone had stolen it? You are not thinking this through and haven't done so from the minute you touched that bike. Brand new bikes don't just fall on your lap without any records at all.
Brand new (part 2)? Identifiable by its scratches? I'm having a little trouble putting those two sentences together.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
My top tip, all my kids bikes had a resealable plastic bag with a piece of paper inside with our contact details on rolled up and inserted into the seat tube, easy enough to identify / prove the bike was ours.
@shadesman89 if you cannot provide concrete proof the bike is yours it looks like you have lost it, do you have receipts for the bike or accessories?

OP
OP
S

shadesman89

i have a reciept at home but it was too late i left my bike, my bike was tho only 5 months old when it was stolen. i am sure it is mine, even has the mod pizza sticker on the fork exactly where i put it can i still call the cops and find the guy who has it?

classic33

Leg End Member
i have a reciept at home but it was too late i left my bike, my bike was tho only 5 months old when it was stolen. i am sure it is mine, even has the mod pizza sticker on the fork exactly where i put it can i still call the cops and find the guy who has it?
Nothing to stop you calling the police. They'll not be allowed to give you the other persons details though.
Unless you reported it stolen, and have a copy of the reference number given to you, you're stuck.

If you have the receipt, get in touch with the bike shop(LBS) that you bought it from. They may be able to supply the frame number.

Top Bottom