Personal best(s)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
At the start of May, I decided to take up cycling again to do the school commute when we go back in August. I was never a prolific cyclist but thought that a 30-minute cycle to work would be good for me (30 mins there, 15 mins back - it's uphill all the way in the morning). Also, aged 54 and tipping the scales at 15 stone 11, I did feel that I should try to get a bit more active. I also persuaded my better half that I needed a new bike, to which she eventually agreed.

Fast forward to today.... the school run now takes me 16 minutes. My weight has dropped to 14 stone 8, without altering my diet (and I think I'm drinking more beer than I did before lockdown), and today I completed 1,000 kilometres in July, bringing my total distance since the start of May to 1,931 km (1,200 miles).

I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
About the beer drinking or about other stuff?
^_^

You wait until your better half realises that your bum and thighs are getting that much firmer and trimmer too!

Last edited:

All uphill

Still rolling along
At the start of May, I decided to take up cycling again to do the school commute when we go back in August. I was never a prolific cyclist but thought that a 30-minute cycle to work would be good for me (30 mins there, 15 mins back - it's uphill all the way in the morning). Also, aged 54 and tipping the scales at 15 stone 11, I did feel that I should try to get a bit more active. I also persuaded my better half that I needed a new bike, to which she eventually agreed.

Fast forward to today.... the school run now takes me 16 minutes. My weight has dropped to 14 stone 8, without altering my diet (and I think I'm drinking more beer than I did before lockdown), and today I completed 1,000 kilometres in July, bringing my total distance since the start of May to 1,931 km (1,200 miles).

I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself.
And hopefully you are enjoying it too? That is what will help you keep it up when the days are wetter and cooler.

Well done!

OP
OP
S

Scotty55

And hopefully you are enjoying it too? That is what will help you keep it up when the days are wetter and cooler.

Well done!

Really enjoying it. Have set off in some torrential downpours regardless. I know my shoes are waterproof because they fill up and hold the water in them until I get home.

Ideally, I’d like to lose another stone. I think that, when gyms up here reopen, I’ll be able to cycle to school and then visit the gym on my way home - get some upper body conditioning.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Good to hear you’re doing so well, funnily enough we started at the same time and I too am 54. I’m at just under 200km per week at the moment so still a bit to go to catch you up. I can understand why so many middle aged men become slightly obsessed with cycling - it’s a very pleasant and easy way to get fit and lose weight if you’re minded to. :becool:
Keep it up scotty !

Last edited:

Gibbo9

Veteran
I'm in a pretty similar position to the OP. Been cycling for around 6 years now but nothing too serious, few charity rides of up to 350K over two days which I had to train for but then lapsed after.

Currently I am 109 days of completing minimum 30 minutes of exercise per day. 69 rides totaling 2300K and on the days when I couldn't get out I'd do cross trainer in the gym 1700 minutes of such so far.

Starting weight was 13 stone 10, which for 5ft 6 is bordering on obese. I now weigh 11 stone 12, ideally I'd like to get down to 11 stone for Christmas. I've not changed much in lifestyle, still enjoy my Saturday pints although I do eat a lot more salad but I think that's down to the heat out here.

I feel absolutely fantastic though so long may it continue.

Well done to the OP, keep up the good work.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You dont really need a gym membership for upper body work , i have a set of dumbbells, and the kids swing for mine !
Start off with a core work out
shoulder press
step up onto garden bench
australian push ups on swing cross bar
reverse lunges
press ups
side step squats
pull ups on swing
you get the idea and then a stretch session :smile:
In winter when its to nasty outside i have a total gym which folds up for storage

Top Bottom