Perth to Prague in a week

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

u01rdw4

Hi all,

I'm in a team of 6 who are looking to do a trip from Perth (Scotland) to Prague (Czech Republic) (about 746 miles/1200km) in a week. We will have a support vehicle to carry our stuff.
The breakdown of our route seems to be getting the ferry at Newcastle or Hull, and then cycling from Zeebrugge (Belgium) or IJmuiden (Netherlands) through Germany and into the Czech Republic.
I'm hoping there's someone on here who's done a similar route through western Europe who can help me.

My main questions are:

Roads or traffic-free cycle routes?
Road bikes or tourers?
Which route would be best?

And any other advice would be great too!

sabian92

Über Member
If you have a support bike then road bikes all the way. For 90% of that journey you're in either The Netherlands/Germany etc which both have great roads or bike paths. They both have great cycle infrastructure regardless so I'd take advantage of it, definitely.

As for Czech Republic, not a clue. It might be like riding on Mars so maybe road bikes may not be the best choice.

Hi all,

I'm in a team of 6 who are looking to do a trip from Perth (Scotland) to Prague (Czech Republic) (about 746 miles/1200km) in a week. We will have a support vehicle to carry our stuff.
The breakdown of our route seems to be getting the ferry at Newcastle or Hull, and then cycling from Zeebrugge (Belgium) or IJmuiden (Netherlands) through Germany and into the Czech Republic.
I'm hoping there's someone on here who's done a similar route through western Europe who can help me.

My main questions are:

Roads or traffic-free cycle routes?
Road bikes or tourers?
Which route would be best?

And any other advice would be great too!

I can only really comment on the Perthshire, Fife, Edinburgh, Borders bit but I'd stay on road, there's plenty of alternatives to the main road and the off road is of mainly poor quality.
If you are supported I'd go for road bike, if not tourer (but I'm only experienced on day road bike touring)
I'd go via Kinross at the start but you probably already know that :-)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Either will work (as LonJOG showed). Road bikes would probably be better if supported, but I would recommend decent mudguards as days of riding through rain are far more pleasant with guards IMHO

Top Bottom