1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petacchi out of TDF!

Discussion in 'Pro Cycling (Road and Track Racing)' started by Tetedelacourse, 6 May 2008.

1. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

2. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Hmmm. A years ban by CAS who say that he overdosed on Salbutamol with no intent to gain an advantage. Is there an advantage to be had with Salb. or is he just unlucky?

3. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

IIRC Salbutamol, along with other treatments for asthma, opens up the lungs and improves the ability to absorb oxygen. Yes, it could be used as a performance enhancing drug. Many pro-cyclists (again, IIRC) suffer from asthma and have a doctor's note to allow them to use an inhaler, within limits.

4. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Do they really have asthma or is it a way round the system then?

5. monnet

monnet Über Member

Well, there seems to be a disproportionate number of pro cyclists who suffer from asthma considering the demands of the sport. But then again they spend alot of time cycling, probably sometimes near cars so it might be brought on by that. Perhaps we should congratulate them on overcoming a disability so successfully!

6. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

I don't know. I guess that if you suffer from, say, hayfever, then something like Salbutamol might be of assistance. It has to be medically prescribed and it's easily detectable, so pretty hard to abuse I'd say.

7. Steve Austin

Steve Austin The Marmalade Kid

Good for Cav :blush:

8. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Very easy to abuse. It works well for sprinters by helping pack the oxygen in quick. Have a look on wikipedia if you don't believe me.

He had a an exemption IIRC but exceeded that dose.

Bad asthma. poor chap.

9. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

This could explain some of the latest statements from the team that he may not be in the Giro because of some recent illness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!