Petacchi out of TDF!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Hmmm. A years ban by CAS who say that he overdosed on Salbutamol with no intent to gain an advantage. Is there an advantage to be had with Salb. or is he just unlucky?

rich p said:
Hmmm. A years ban by CAS who say that he overdosed on Salbutamol with no intent to gain an advantage. Is there an advantage to be had with Salb. or is he just unlucky?
IIRC Salbutamol, along with other treatments for asthma, opens up the lungs and improves the ability to absorb oxygen. Yes, it could be used as a performance enhancing drug. Many pro-cyclists (again, IIRC) suffer from asthma and have a doctor's note to allow them to use an inhaler, within limits.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Chuffy said:
IIRC Salbutamol, along with other treatments for asthma, opens up the lungs and improves the ability to absorb oxygen. Yes, it could be used as a performance enhancing drug. Many pro-cyclists (again, IIRC) suffer from asthma and have a doctor's note to allow them to use an inhaler, within limits.

Do they really have asthma or is it a way round the system then?

monnet

Guru
rich p said:

Well, there seems to be a disproportionate number of pro cyclists who suffer from asthma considering the demands of the sport. But then again they spend alot of time cycling, probably sometimes near cars so it might be brought on by that. Perhaps we should congratulate them on overcoming a disability so successfully!

rich p said:
I don't know. I guess that if you suffer from, say, hayfever, then something like Salbutamol might be of assistance. It has to be medically prescribed and it's easily detectable, so pretty hard to abuse I'd say.

Dave5N

Über Member
Very easy to abuse. It works well for sprinters by helping pack the oxygen in quick. Have a look on wikipedia if you don't believe me.

He had a an exemption IIRC but exceeded that dose.

Bad asthma. poor chap.

Keith Oates

Janner
This could explain some of the latest statements from the team that he may not be in the Giro because of some recent illness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom