Peterborough into the fens.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
I am meeting an old friend for the first time in 16 years, he lives in Stamford and I've suggested a cycle ride, any opportunity............^_^ I'll be taking the train to Peterborough where we'll meet up, I fancy heading east in to the fens, an area I know nothing about, wouldn't mind heading right out somewhere and getting a train back the next day.

Suggestions?

Avoid anyone with a banjo.

How far are you planning on riding? Want to do any sightseeing? Are you more the beet, potatoes or onions type?

If you want the train bail out option then it's quite easy: March -> Manea -> Ely then either further east Lakenheath -> Brandon -> Thetford (roads get a bit busy after Lakenheath and then Fens end there, gets kind of scary though and you might start encountering large green thingies and you might have to use the levers on your handlebars again so be aware :-))

You could also head north from Ely to Littleport, Downham Market and Kings Lynn (all have train stations). The Ouse Washes area is quite nice esp if you are into birds, Welney has a nature reserve and cafe, Denver Sluice is quite impressive and has a pub next to it.

Maybe go whichever way the wind blows because the other way is probably going to be really hard!

Once you have a rough route let us know then we can advise on details. Avoid main roads like A10, A11, A47 etc, droves and drives can get very bumpy but you can also ride for hours without seeing anyone.

Avoid anyone with a banjo.

pedal_faster_i_hear_banjo_music_tee_shirt-r49419d15eb9a4dba899ac1fe75848ea1_va6lr_512.jpg

More seriously.... Peterborough has a system called the "Green Wheel" which is a series of cycle routes that form a "Wheel" with the routes out formingthe spokes

Sustrans has Details

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Avoid main roads like A10, A11, A47 etc, droves and drives can get very bumpy but you can also ride for hours without seeing anyone.
Well, the A10 is paralleled by good back roads north of Littleport to Ten Mile Bank then a bit of a detour to Downham Market, then NCR11 broadly parallels the A10. The A17 has a parallel B road and then a cycle track between Long Sutton and the Walpoles, then its old route through Terrington isn't usually too busy. The A47 is best avoided via Emneth Hungate then NCR 1 to Lynn... there's non-obvious avoiding roads east of Lynn but there are no train stations left between Lynn and Norwich :sad:

FastFlyer

Regular
The OH's family lives in the fens and I took the new bike for a short and slow spin. The first link is all on road with the second having a large off road section through a field of cows who like to stare you down. As you get into Newborough on the 2nd link, if you head east behind reaching our finish point there's a very long and mostly well paved off-road route (don't take a road bike though) which will take you straight into Ely with good scenery and no cars.

Pointlessly short routes, but you might be able to tie it in with something.

https://www.strava.com/activities/303168127

https://www.strava.com/activities/303052556

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@MarkF why not come across towards Oundle ok no train option return but some nice roads

mjr

As you get into Newborough on the 2nd link, if you head east behind reaching our finish point there's a very long and mostly well paved off-road route (don't take a road bike though) which will take you straight into Ely with good scenery and no cars.
Ely? Are you sure? Has it got a name or markings on maps?

OP
OP
MarkF

MarkF

Guru
@MarkF why not come across towards Oundle ok no train option return but some nice roads

Never heard of Oundle, is it a flat area? Flat is novelty for me and I fancy riding somewhere nice under a big sky. :smile: I have no intention of planning an exact route for day's ride, I think I'd like to ride for 8 hours ish, drink a lot of beer and then get the train back to Peterborough the following day, maybe this way we can get lucky with the wind too? Ely sounds a nice place to visit, like to see The Wash too.

I read about the Green Wheel last night, it looks great but I don't really fancy going around in a big circle.

Thanks for the replies, got a lot of useful info there to have a look at. :okay:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Never heard of Oundle, is it a flat area? Flat is novelty for me and I fancy riding somewhere nice under a big sky. :smile: I have no intention of planning an exact route for day's ride, I think I'd like to ride for 8 hours ish, drink a lot of beer and then get the train back to Peterborough the following day, maybe this way we can get lucky with the wind too? Ely sounds a nice place to visit, like to see The Wash too.

I read about the Green Wheel last night, it looks great but I don't really fancy going around in a big circle.

Thanks for the replies, got a lot of useful info there to have a look at. :okay:

Oundle and surrounding area is fairly flat and make sure you visit Fotheringhay and the church

mjr

I have no intention of planning an exact route for day's ride, I think I'd like to ride for 8 hours ish, drink a lot of beer and then get the train back to Peterborough the following day, maybe this way we can get lucky with the wind too? Ely sounds a nice place to visit, like to see The Wash too.
Oooh now you've got me thinking. Why ride and then drink? Head for Crowland (NCR12), detour slightly to have a drink at Ye Olde Bridge over the River Welland, then head for Wisbech, sink a drink by the River Nene (Elgoods Brewery Gardens if it's Tue/Wed/Thy), then ride across to Wiggenhall St Germans for a drink by the Great Ouse at the Crown and Anchor and finish with a drink on the quayside at King's Lynn at the Marriott's Warehouse, the Rathskellar or the Crown and Mitre... :laugh:

Oundle and surrounding area is fairly flat and make sure you visit Fotheringhay and the church
I love Northamptonshire but it's not flat like the fens.

Top Bottom