Petrol Strimmer care for over the winter.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
If you get to the end of the season and you’ve not used up all your mixed fuel, what do you do with it? Can you put leftover mixed fuel in your car tank? If not, how do you dispose of it?

Last edited:
Have you ever watched 'Shed and Buried'? They frequently have to deal with seized 2-strokes.

Had no issues restarting in Spring for over 2 decades. Had 2 of then, one in the first decade and second in last decade. Never emptied the fuel. Followed the petrol / oil mix ratio strictly.Never even serviced them. Not sure if these tips were required for much older times and their models.

Reminds me of older folks like Dad wanting to come over to start the car engine every day when I am away on holidays.

Alex321

Veteran
If you get to the end of the season and you’ve not used up all your mixed fuel, what do you do with it? Can you put leftover mixed fuel in your car tank? If not, how do you dispose of it?

I never mix much more than I need (for my chainsaw - as above, my strimmer self-mixes).

Fuel does have shelf life. So just enough in a can of petrol with oil added for the right ratio for the year. If there is some left, that's fine as it will small portion when the new petrol is added in the following year. I only add enough oil for additional new petrol to retain the same ratio.

Have you ever watched 'Shed and Buried'? They frequently have to deal with seized 2-strokes.

Not after 3 or 4 mths in the shed I would think?

As already stated it's best to do all that's been suggested if you want but I don't (nor many others it seems) so only saying what I've experienced myself opposed to what someone making a television programme has said.

Chris S

Legendary Member

Don't - the 2-stroke oil in the mix won't burn properly. It may even damage the catalytic converter.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Don't - the 2-stroke oil in the mix won't burn properly. It may even damage the catalytic converter.

Theoretically yes, but if you have, say, 1 litre of premixed fuel at 25:1 and you add it to 50 litres of fuel in your tank you'll end up with the square root of naff all in terms of oil.

Chris S

Legendary Member
It's still enough to contaminate the lambda sensor (etc). I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few pounds.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
It's still enough to contaminate the lambda sensor (etc). I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few pounds.

The issue is not one of cost, but instead how to dispose of mixed fuel which is past its shelf life. Clearly the best solution is not to end up with unused fuel in the first place, but what do you do if you miss calculate?

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
The issue is not one of cost, but instead how to dispose of mixed fuel which is past its shelf life. Clearly the best solution is not to end up with unused fuel in the first place, but what do you do if you miss calculate?

You can use old petrol for cleaning paintbrushes or having a bonfire etc. I've only got a litre left over so I'll have a small bonfire on Bonfire night as I've got some wood to burn.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
If you have a four stroke petrol lawnmower, the old two stroke fuel can be used in it. I tend to run a weak two stroke mix through my mowers (big Stihl orchard mowers) at the start of the season to help lubricate the upper cylinders. Don’t overuse it and check plugs for any fouling.

As an aside on two stroke maintenance: struck up a Stihl earth auger for the first time in over a year, for a fencing job yesterday, without breaking into (much of) a sweat.

Top Bottom