Peugeot Avaris Impulse Buy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gunk

Guru
I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine.

One thing is clear is that the frame needs some TLC. It's perfectly straight, but at some point it has spent some [wasted] time on a turbo. Salty sweat has delivered unacceptable amounts of rust under the top tube that use of the word 'patina' will not save without further action.

On the one hand, the SPD Raleigh is a full retromod with a completely restored frame and modern(ish groupset) making it entirely applicable for the Thursday night with-a-pub club ride and indeed moderate paced rides of any distance. It has done a 100 mile ride, which was the genesis of consigning my carbon frame to history. Long story short; my arse was in better shape on the Raleigh after a century than it ever had been on the carbon bike.

On the other hand, a quick spin round the block on the Peugeot indicates that even despite the superannuated groupset and wheels, it's an altogether more responsive ride than the softly-softly 531c Raleigh SPD. The Raleigh will hold speed when you get there, but the Pug seems to enjoy getting there faster. Part of me is thinking that the Pug should take the retromod mantle with the modern groupo and the Shimano 600 Tricolore (along with some MA40 tribute TB14 rimmed wheels from The Cycle Clinic) should should hit the Raleigh for pootling about.

It's a first world eighties retro issue! However, all viewpoints accepted and invited.

Russ

Very envious, great find and worth just sympathetically restoring.

I’ve also read your Ti Raleigh build blog, that looks fantastic, very similar to my 2012 rep which uses the same groupset. I love it, it’s a joy to ride.

Top Bottom