Peugeot Optimum replacement Quill Stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
I'm going to change the pug to brifters but I want to do it with new handlebars and stem so that once I can afford my new bike I can then change her back to her original self without any evidence she had some work done.

Can anyone advise on the size of quill stem I'd need as the bike is currently at my dads all dry and warm so can't measure myself.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
I'm going to change the pug to brifters but I want to do it with new handlebars and stem so that once I can afford my new bike I can then change her back to her original self without any evidence she had some work done.

Can anyone advise on the size of quill stem I'd need as the bike is currently at my dads all dry and warm so can't measure myself.
std 22.2mm and what ever length you want but i think normal was 110mm

compo

Veteran
I have a quill to Ahead adaptor in my junk box and the bit that fits into the steerer tube on my Peugeot is a standard 22.2mm. My Pug is a different model to yours though so I make no promises. I only know the measurement from when looking for a new headset and at that time I wasn't sure if my Pug had British threading and sizing.

tyred

Legendary Member
If you have a French threaded headset, it will be a 22mm stem. This is likely if the bike was built before c1980.

A standard one will probably fit however, or will fit after a little sandpapering to reduce the diameter if required.

OP
OP
Kevoffthetee

Kevoffthetee

On the road to nowhere
Thanks for the info guys. It's a 22.2 to 1" and I went off the deda will adaptor from wiggle, stupidly I forgot the 1"-1.1/8 shim for the new stem but the lbs had one.

Has anyone come across any threads on here with the sti conversion on classics Showing images

bigjim

Legendary Member
Thanks for the info guys. It's a 22.2 to 1" and I went off the deda will adaptor from wiggle, stupidly I forgot the 1"-1.1/8 shim for the new stem but the lbs had one.

Has anyone come across any threads on here with the sti conversion on classics Showing images
I converted my 1985 Harry Hall.
15608739179_1394cc631e_c.jpg

I also did my 1990 Raleigh Sprint.
12305315473_31c02b9c02_c.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
Nice, but did you have to tweak the frame of the Harry hall to get the R500's on'so on. I take it they are 9 speed hub due to the sora?
No did not touch the frame. The frame will spring with a bit of strength to allow the hub in. Assume it was originall 125 so not a big stretch. I've found it easier each time as if the steel will learn the longer the wider hub is in there. I did not want to chance cold setting. I had one frame cold set at the LBS and the wheel is not running true, so he cocked it up.
That Raleigh will also take a 130mm hub even easier. Don't know why but it is not 531 like the HH.

Top Bottom