PF30 to Shimano Bottom Bracket Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
I have a new Ultegra crankset to fit to my Bianchi, so I can swap my power meter between both bikes. The Bianchi has a PF30 bottom bracket shell, so naturally I will need an adapter.

Just wondered if anyone had experience of either of the following:

1. Praxis or Wheels Manufacturing all in one PF30 to Shimano bottom bracket.

2. SRAM plastic cup to threaded adapter with Ultegra or Dura Ace bottom bracket.

Is the Dura Ace BB much better than the Ultegra? Differences?

Also, is there any point in getting ceramic bearings? Difference is about £20 with option 1. Just wondering what the pitfalls may be?

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Watching with interest, as I plan to change the PF30 on my Boardman to the Wheels Mfg outboard allowing me to use a hollowtech crank, and hopefully eliminate the horrible creaking..

stumpy66

Veteran
No experience of doing the conversion from pf30 but when I had the Dura ace it felt no different and lasted one winter, thankfully I got it cheap. I’ve had a hope bb on for several years now, used in alll weathers and I’ve had no issues with it

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
No experience of doing the conversion from pf30 but when I had the Dura ace it felt no different and lasted one winter, thankfully I got it cheap. I’ve had a hope bb on for several years now, used in alll weathers and I’ve had no issues with it
Felt no different to what? Which version did you have fitted prior to DA?

How much did the Hope cost? I suspect that it was quite a bit more?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
I used the BB30 version of THIS to convert my Cannondale some years ago and it's been perfect ever since.

If the PF30 version performs even half as well it will serve you well, they're that good IME.
I had seen that but wrote it off as been told that there’s no going back after it’s fitted. That is a bit of a worry, just in case I ever needed to revert. Probably never will in reality though.

Being as though you have experience, how is it fitted and have you had any issues whatsoever? Any creaks or movement?

Is it then just a case of screwing in a new Shimano BB for subsequent replacements?

Seeing as though you have experience, how is it fitted and have you had any issues whatsoever? Any creaks or movement?

Is it then just a case of screwing in a new Shimano BB for subsequent replacements?
The FSA shell is bonded in place which is why they state it's a permanent fix, particularly in a CF frame. My frame is alu anyway but I knew I'd never want to go back to BB30 as long as I have a hole in my bum :laugh:

I've had no creaks or movment at all, and FWIW I'm a hefty lad as well ;)

Once fitted it's simply a case of screwing in chainset compatible bearings and fitting your chainset, Shimano Ultegra HTII in my case.

IME push fit bearings are a solution to another problem that never existed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
Sorry forgot to say, it was an ultegra one it replaced.

Yeah quite a price difference but imo it was worth it http://www.wiggle.co.uk/hope-stainless-steel-bottom-bracket/
More expensive, but around the same as the Praxis option I am looking at. This ones is stated as being serviceable with replaceable bearings, so could end up cheaper over time.

Is yours a PF30 frame with Shimano crankset then? Which version of the Hope BB would I need?

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
The FSA shell is bonded in place which is why the state it's a permanent fix, particularly in a CF frame. My frame is alu anyway but I knew I'd never want to go back to BB30 as long as I have a hole in my bum :laugh:

I've had no creaks or movment at all, and FWIW I'm a hefty lad as well ;)

Once fitted it's simply a case of screwing in chainset compatible bearings and fitting your chainset, Shimano Ultegra HTII in my case.

IME push fit bearings are a solution to another problem that never existed.
Cheers for the detailed info. Definitely not up for bonding in a permanent fixture.

I have no creaks, just want to change to Shimano.

addman100

Guru
Watching with interest, as I plan to change the PF30 on my Boardman to the Wheels Mfg outboard allowing me to use a hollowtech crank, and hopefully eliminate the horrible creaking..
@cosmicbike just a word of warning, avoid the FSA sleeve for the boardman frame. The boardman bottom bracket shell diameter is too small to for the FSA PF30 sleeve to fit. I've already made that mistake myself!

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
@cosmicbike just a word of warning, avoid the FSA sleeve for the boardman frame. The boardman bottom bracket shell diameter is too small to for the FSA PF30 sleeve to fit. I've already made that mistake myself!
Cheers. I have read that the only one that fits is the Wheels Mfg unit. The shell has a pronounced step which kind of limits the options.

OP
OP
B

bpsmith

Veteran
After a chat with my local mechanic, along with a need to keep the bike standard for the moment, I have bought some Wheels Manufacturing PF30 to Hollowtech II Shims. The guy reckons he’s fitted many and as no complaints about creaking.

Worth a go for me as, depending on my insurance claim, I may want to go back to the FSA crankset. The shims would be the quickest and cheapest option. In addition, the original PF30 BB is still going strong, despite being 4,500 miles in. Would make more sense to replace in the cleaner months.

Who knows, if the work out well, then it will mean a cheaper B.B. when the time comes. Will post back once installed. :smile:

Top Bottom