Pheasants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saddle bum

Über Member
It was one of those days when a "Chinese gale" was blowing, you know, which ever direction you rode, the wind was on your nose.

Up ahead I saw two cock pheasants sparring in the middle of the road. A car coming the other way had stopped to avoid them. The birds were oblivious to anything happening around them.

As I approached, I bent down and tried to scoop up one, whereupon both took off. In retrospect, I don't know what I would have done if I had got it, given it to the car driver I suppose.

There appears to be a lot around at the moment, which is surprising, as during the last season they were very hard to find.

Our gamekeeper says that cock pheasants fighting is not good, "They're supposed to f***, not fight", he says.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
there are a lot around, and they give the impression, that, even by bird standards, they're no intellectuals.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
What, f**k each other?:biggrin::ohmy:

There was a pheasant on our allotment yesterday which didn't bode well for the seedlings I suppose. Do they eat that sort of thing?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I saw quite a few as road kill on Sunday. Living ones were quite common too.

I was sorely tempted to collect a few fresh looking road kills but my saddlebag was full.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Saddle bum said:
It was one of those days when a "Chinese gale" was blowing, you know, which ever direction you rode, the wind was on your nose.
Serious question.
Where does that term come from?

I've always wondered about 'Chinese' related sayings and can't find much history behind the sayings and terms.

The other one I am trying to determine is 'Chinese six' in referece to lorries that have two front axles and one rear axle.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
If the pheasants are in open country, it's worth running after them (so I'm led to believe). They can fly, but aren't very good at it and get tired quickly.

We have a tame pheasant called Uncle Monty who comes to our garden for his breakfast and tea. Poor chap stands on tiptoe, ruffles his feathers and announces his presence to the ladies in the neighbourhood but with no great success.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Chuffy said:
We have a tame pheasant called Uncle Monty who comes to our garden for his breakfast and tea. Poor chap stands on tiptoe, ruffles his feathers and announces his presence to the ladies in the neighbourhood but with no great success.

Are you sure it's the ladies he's after?
withnailandi2.jpg

Maz

Guru
Uncle Mort said:
A lot of them aren't even scared of humans as they see them as the bringers of din-dins.
The pheasants don't realise how right they are!
:biggrin::biggrin:

Landslide said:
Are you sure it's the ladies he's after?
withnailandi2.jpg
Well spotted! :biggrin:

So-called because when he announces himself he basically shouts "I'M HERE!" but being a pheasant he's a bit posh and it comes out as "HYEAR!". Much like Uncle Monty when they find the hare nailed to the cottage door. "Hyear hare hyear". :biggrin:

Top Bottom