Phil Liggett

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Nothing to dislike about him, he's a legend.

Sharky

Guru
He's been around since before the 80's, when he used to actually ride a bike. Think I've got a programme somewhere from the 1969 IOM week and he is listed on the start sheets!

Lovely chap - bumped into him at the Wincanton Classic down south one year - we were in club kit and he'd ridden for the club decades before. He came over to have a chat. Just noticed that a documentary about him has been released - 'Phil Liggett - The Voice of Cycling'

Will have to work out how to watch it.

Reactions: mjr

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My mum used to sit next to him in work. He and another guy from the same office were known bike nuts.

I started watching the TDF in the 90s - first one was when Greg LeMond won by 8 seconds - What a year to start

followed it until my partner at the time decided that watching 'sport' for an hour every eveing for 3 weeks was unacceptable - same with F1 - how did I not see red flags?????

anyway - when we broke up I dived directly back to TDF - did not pass go - did not collect £200 - and still he was there
the voice that defined cycling

he has his faults
sometimes I can't cope with his co-commentator
but he is like the shopping forecast - I may not always choose to listen to the channel he is one - but knowing his voice is out there makes the World right

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I have had an interesting conversation with a trouserless Mr Liggett in a public loo ( he was changing after an audax event).

Milzy

Guru
Legend but seemed naive through the Lance dark days era. Or was he just professionally been that way?

Top Bottom