Philip French

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
...has died. Along with Robert Hughes the most intelligent critic I've ever read.

I rode 40 miles to see Heaven's Gate on his recommendation, and can remember nothing of the return 40 miles, late at night, other than being certain sure I'd seen a masterpiece. Colour would never be quite the same again, circles and ritual became a lifelong fascination, and Isabel Huppert was pretty darn easy on the eye.

Heavens Gate alone would be enough to secure him a place in my heart, but given that the cinema was a three or four times a year treat, his recommendations were gold dust. Back to the Future got the thumbs up from Mr. French and the trip to Aylesbury's fleapit didn't disappoint. And that was what made him the dogs - he didn't just review the fancy stuff that you had to go to London to see, he gave the thumbs up (or down) to the flicks at the Odeon.

So...thankyou, Mr. French.

Always liked his reviews in the Observer;think he's been ill for a while.

I agree - great critic and I loved reading his pieces in the Observer - 82 is a good age but it is sad that he's died.

Mark Kermode tweeted "Philip French's noble, erudite writing elevated film criticism to the level of art. His judgement was acute yet generous. He inspired us all"

I think that's a fair comment.

Thought Mr Kermode would have good things to say.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
...has died. Along with Robert Hughes the most intelligent critic I've ever read.

I rode 40 miles to see Heaven's Gate on his recommendation, and can remember nothing of the return 40 miles, late at night, other than being certain sure I'd seen a masterpiece. Colour would never be quite the same again, circles and ritual became a lifelong fascination, and Isabel Huppert was pretty darn easy on the eye.

Heavens Gate alone would be enough to secure him a place in my heart, but given that the cinema was a three or four times a year treat, his recommendations were gold dust. Back to the Future got the thumbs up from Mr. French and the trip to Aylesbury's fleapit didn't disappoint. And that was what made him the dogs - he didn't just review the fancy stuff that you had to go to London to see, he gave the thumbs up (or down) to the flicks at the Odeon.

So...thankyou, Mr. French.

I confess I'd not heard of him, obviously poor of me as something of a film buff, but I complement your wonderfull write up - made me feel I knew the man !

Top Bottom