Phill Liggett challenge - 8th August 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Oh well, I'm all ready to go, edited the file on GPSies to move the finish point away from the start point by a couple of hundred yards so that I do not cross it and finish the course prematurely. Loaded up all the villages as separate navigation points to give me an idea where I am, and also created a route from the navigation points as a back up in case the course go's tits up.

Loaded the file into Google Earth and had a fly through of it, and a look at some of the pics in certain hilly places to see what I'm up against, all I have to do is pedal it now.

zacklaws

Guru
Well that was tough, did not like Winnats at all, having done Rosedale chimney and heard that it is the worst climb in the country, I expected Winnats to be a bit easier, but it was not, but its not as steep as Rosedale as I never had problems keeping my front wheel on the ground, so the gradient must be less on Winnats, its just a lot longer. Looking at my download, I was creeping up at around 2mph, maybe I'm still suffering from the cold/flu I had a week ago as I was gasping for breath and my heart rate rocketed up.

Anyway I'm off to bed now, truly knackered, still sweating with the exertations

OP
OP
hulver

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
That was very tough. Hardest ride of my life.

I walked Winnats, but that's the only bit I did walk. My heart rate was over 90% of max just pushing the bike up.

I made it up Holme Moss without stopping. When I got off the bike at the top I got a massive cramp in my leg. I had to massage it for ages before it eased off.

The pain in my leg never really left me the whole way around.

Got a new maximum speed coming off Holme Moss as well, 55.8 mph.
thumbsup.png

Don't think I'll do the 150km ride again. I've never been around that bit, and although it was nice I don't think it was worth the extra pain. Maybe if I get much much fitter I might do it again, but I think I'll stick to the 100k ride in future.

I must have been getting a bit quicker, as it took until Rushup Edge for Phil to overtake me. I did that on Holme Moss last year. I had a bit of a chat with him at the Edale food stop, nice chap.

Hard, hard ride. Took me 11.5 hours
sad.gif

zacklaws

Guru
A bit more detail from the ride as all I wanted to do was go to bed when I got home and get rested for work today all stats from my Garmin download into Sportstracks:-

Began to wonder what I had let myself in for when I got to Sheffield and saw those big grey hills in the direction that I was driving, then knew what I had let myself in for when I got through Sheffield and in the last mile, I had to climb that hill in low gear in my car to the start point.

Then we set off, and on that first descent I was doing just over 36mph heading for that first right hand bend, and other riders where hurtling past me, then I thought this ride is going to be madness as well.

I crawled up Holme moss at speeds of around 5mph, give or take a mph, so it must be on par with Nunburnholme, just over half a mile longer, then there was that crazy descent, I couldn't see a thing, my eyes were watering that much even with glasses on, saw I was just nudging 50mph (this was not recorded on the garmin or my other computer for some unknown reason) so slowed down a bit as I did not know the hill and did not fancy trying to go round an S bend at that speed.

Then at the bottom of a hill near them first reservoirs, we got mixed up with a lot of motorcyclists, who overtook us, but on the bends, they suddenly became less manouverable and slower than us, so we started overtaking them on the outside, and we ended up well mixed up, the only problem being when we got to the junction, we wanted to go right and them left, so it must have looked like a road junction in Hong Kong, chaos as we untangled ourselves out and went our seperate ways.

As the route was well signposted, I stuck to the profile view on the Garmin so I could see the hills and know how and when I would hit the summit, plus look out for nasty upward bits that might catch me out in the wrong gear, as it did on one of Colinj's rides at Hebden bridge.

Why I struggled on Winnats, I have no idea, I had to stop to catch my breath three times as my heart rate rocketed, according to the Garmin I hit 220bpm, For quite a distance on the climb, I sat comfortably in the mid 170's, climbing steadily, then for no reason at all, it shot up into the 190's in just a few yards and then the 200s and I could never get myself going again properly, perhaps I looked up and cacked myself when I saw that road just going up and up and no end to it, or maybe a car made me slow momentarily as they squeezed past us and then that extra effort to get going again may have put me over the edge. After a short distance with my HR in the 200's, I took caution to the Garmins warning alarm and stopped. I know the hill was not that excessively steep as I got going again and managed to clip up in one. Only at the top was I able to recover fully. Last night I found a film on youtube of someone climbing it, all I recognised was that green grit bin halfway up. It makes you cringe watching it, let alone doing it.

Sadly it was at the top of Winnats, that the fun had gone out of the ride, despite a handfull of riders passing me on Winnats, when I got to the top, there was no one in front of me or behind, so all the big groups and individuals that I had been mixing it with had gone and despite the vast number at the feed station when I left along with others just arriving, I only recall one other rider catching me up, so the remaining 30 miles was almost a lonely ride apart from about the last 8 miles when I paired up with some one else. Perhaps only a few of us was doing the 150k and the majority turned off just before Winnats and did only the 100k. I know when I got back to the start, the street which was packed with cars where I was parked, was empty apart from a couple, so a lot of riders must have finished and left. But there was still a lot of certificates left on the table to be collected, which ment there must still have been a lot of riders still enroute. Even Phil Liggett was all changed when I got back and left shortly after I had spoke to him, so maybe he did the short route as he was still sorting his bike out when we set off at the start.

Monsal Head, according to the Garmin had the steepest section of road, very short though, but with all those riders looking down from the pub who I managed to catch up too, it was just a steady grind upwards, trying not to stop, it was not till I got to the top and saw that big viewing area packed with tourists overlooking the road as I stopped at the pub and looked back, that I thought how embarasing it would have been to walk up that one, I think Malcolm Elliot has the record on that hill, in just over a minute, almost 700yds, I did it in just over 4 minutes.

Timewise, I did it in 6hrs 57min of which 3hrs 25mins, was spent climbing, 2hrs 18mins on the flat, which leaves only 1hr 14mins decending.

I was still sweating about three hours after the event, could not stomach solid fuel and felt sick every time I tried eating it, half my Chinese went into the bin.

Cramp, I was fearing I may get it like in the Big G, I got lots of minor twinges from Holme Moss onwards but it never gripped me properly. At the end though for those last miles, I felt very fresh which surprised me and was hurtling along at 27mph to 29mph along with another rider

Don't worry about your time Mathew, you got round, I bet some did not, but its participation that counts at the end of the day, you can't beat a good challenge. Think I might try "Flat out in the Fens" next year, I think it only has one little hill in about 100 miles, so good chance I'll get a run at it and coast over it.

Dreading tommorow, its always two days after a hard ride, that I stiffen up.

Despite saying never again, think I might have another go next year.

OP
OP
hulver

hulver

Fat bloke on a bike
Phil only ever does the short ride. I saw him at the final feed stop before the split. I left there at the six hour point.

I think the trouble you had up Winnats was caused by the fact it was stupidly steep.
biggrin.gif

There were lots of people at the feed stop, but only 4 overtook me. I think most people were doing the 100km route. I was on my own the entire way around, I'm used to it.

I never did see the last feed stop, I think it must have closed by the time I got there, but I couldn't see where it was supposed to be anyway.

I didn't struggle with Monsal Head, although I did have to stop to get my breath back once. There was no way I could do Winnats. Maybe it's a psychological thing, I've failed it in the past I've already failed before I get there. I walked all the way from the cattle grid to the top.

zacklaws

Guru
I think the trouble you had up Winnats was caused by the fact it was stupidly steep.
biggrin.gif

I never did see the last feed stop, I think it must have closed by the time I got there, but I couldn't see where it was supposed to be anyway.

Maybe it's a psychological thing, I've failed it in the past I've already failed before I get there.

I've done steeper which is what I cannot understand, but I did stop for Beans on toast just before and a good feed, so maybe that contributed in someway, maybe should not have had it or let it digest before riding off so soon

I never saw the first feed station, and everyone I asked at the time did not see it either, and the last was the same, never set eyes on it. I did have them programmed into the Garmin, so I could have selected them and followed the directions if I needed but did not bother. I resupplied at the pub at Monsal head with water and electrolytes I was carrying.

On the Big G route last year, training for it, I knew, 30 miles before I got to Nunburnholme, that I would not climb it, despite doing it loads of times, and I could'nt, I cracked in less than 100yds, so I walked it just to see how long it would take me in case the same happened on the day, I only found a few minutes difference. So I believe too, that you can get a mental block at times.

zacklaws

Guru
Three days have passed since the ride and unusually, I have not suffered any aches or pains which is very unusual, maybe it was not that hard and I may just have been a bit out of condition, or perhaps I did not try hard enough, but I did only plan on going steady and allowed my self 8 hours max as that was what I programmed into my computer.

One thing I noticed towards the end of he ride, was all the new rattles that I developed during the ride on my bike, today I went out to do some repetitive hill climbs to see if I could bump my heart rate up to maybe see what had happened on Winnats, but I could not get over 165bpm, but I have recalled, that just before Winnatts, I did take a big caffeine fix along with some Nurofen to try and kill my backache which did work a bit, perhaps the caffeine may have kicked in and bumped up my HR a bit.

Anyway, discovered what all my new rattles where, my gears must have took a battering on them hills as both cables are well stretched, almost hanging loose and banging on the underside of the down tube along with the front mech catching the chain. Another job tommorow.

Top Bottom