Phishing scam?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last week, I received two WhatsApp messages, both are similar. One read
"Hi my name is Kirsten. I am a recruitment consultant at Hays. We received your job application. Are you still looking for a job?"
WhatsApp identified it as a business account and it is +1 USA number. I asked them how they got my number and they said they find details from Linkedin and other sites of people looking for jobs. I have since reported and deleted the message.
I was recently in the USA on a cycle tour and did gave my details to get a sim card and they put my details on their system.
I have just read the thread by Beebo on fraud involving delivery of a package.
Should I do anything more?

Slick

Guru
I've had a couple similar and I just block them. :okay:

"Hi my name is Kirsten. I am a recruitment consultant at Hays. We received your job application. Are you still looking for a job?"
WhatsApp identified it as a business account and it is +1 USA number. I asked them how they got my number and they said they find details from Linkedin and other sites of people looking for jobs. I have since reported and deleted the message.
I was recently in the USA on a cycle tour and did gave my details to get a sim card and they put my details on their system.

IMHO you have already done too much. I simply block and report unsolicited messages and never, ever, respond to them.

CharleyFarley

I don't use a phone but my wife has one for emergencies and family. I get solicitations by email. Scammers are also operating on Facebook's Marketplace. I recently placed a bike for sale on it and within twenty minutes I got three scammers responding. Then two days ago, another scammer tried. She wanted to buy the bike and asked me to give her my phone number so she could call me. I truthfully told her that my hearing is bad and a phone call would not work. So she then wanted to send me a code to see if I was real. I pointed out to her that if I'm not real, how was I answering her, online? She then disappeared. Evidently she was trying to get my phone number for some devious reason. I've sold bikes on the Marketplace, before, and never had issues with scammers; it seems to be something new.

You've got to be on your guard because scams come from where we least suspect them.

Buck

Guru
I have had a v similar message. Deleted and blocked. Always for this type of unsolicited message. Regardless as to whether it seems genuine or not. If it is, they will prove it otherwise they are just, as you say, phishing.

Rule #1 never reply to these types of messages
Rule #2 see Rule #1

Top Bottom