Phishing texts?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is text phishing a thing?

I had a text purportedly from Giff Gaff asking me to confirm my details or face loss of service.

I've never had any dealings with Giff Gaff, so I'm guessing it's a junk phishing text which could work if it happened to land on a Giff Gaff phone.

Assuming a Giff Gaff customer falls for it, how does the phisher gain?

My Vodafone mobile account is paid by direct debit, so if someone got my Vodafone details they might be able to do me more financial damage other than running up a large bill.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
It's fake

Dave7

Legendary Member
Is your phone on contract??
With some basic details they could order a new phone on your account. I am on Virgin and someone bought a £700 smart phone on my account. Virgin denied all blame and I had a big job getting it refunded.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Is your phone on contract??
With some basic details they could order a new phone on your account. I am on Virgin and someone bought a £700 smart phone on my account. Virgin denied all blame and I had a big job getting it refunded.

My Vodafone is on a basic contract.

It doesn't get a lot of use, rarely more than the basic tenner a month.

I did run up a £50 bill one month and I got an 'usually high bill' alert text from Vodafone.

Hopefully if someone did attempt to buy an iPhone on the account they would check with me directly.

classic33

Leg End Member

I did run up a £50 bill one month and I got an 'usually high bill' alert text from Vodafone.

Hopefully if someone did attempt to buy an iPhone on the account they would check with me directly.
Chances are they'd not check with you. I'd a number ported across networks, Orange to EE in 2013, with a new phone purchased on the EE account.

EE being online accounts at the time, meant it was some months before it was found out. And longer to correct after "I" vanished. The check that's done on your account, via card, only proves the account matches the card.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some sort of attempted scam!

£10 a month is a lot to pay for a basic phone contract these days, especially if you don't use it much.

I am on Giff Gaff and pay £6 a month and that is more expensive than many contracts I have seen. I am another light user so 300 mins of calls, 500 texts and 0.5 GB of data is ample for me. (And the people I contact most are also on GG - I get free calls and texts to them.)

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Some sort of attempted scam!

£10 a month is a lot to pay for a basic phone contract these days, especially if you don't use it much.

I am on Giff Gaff and pay £6 a month and that is more expensive than many contracts I have seen. I am another light user so 300 mins of calls, 500 texts and 0.5 GB of data is ample for me. (And the people I contact most are also on GG - I get free calls and texts to them.)

Perhaps I should have a look around.

Large element of customer inertia, which I'm aware the companies rely on.

Pay as you go might be best, assuming there is one where the credit lasts 'for ever'.

Drago

Legendary Member
Never received a text message.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Pay as you go might be best, assuming there is one where the credit lasts 'for ever'.

I'm on Tesco with the service provided by O2. If you are a light user either Tesco or O2 might suit you. There are seven bundles varying from £5 - £20. The main thing I like is one can change the bundle every month and can add a new bundle at any time.

Usually I use the £5 bundle.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
FWIW I'm on Three 'cos I'm a very light user. I make very few calls, hardly any texts, and bugger all data since I'm sat at a computer most of the day. I'm on their 3 2 1 deal - as best I remember that means 3p/min for calls, 2p per text and 1p per lump of data - a gb or a mb or something. Anyway, a £10 topup generally lasts me three months give or take.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Three's 123 deal works for me. £10 credit doesn't expire and lasts me a good six to eight months.

Last edited:
Three. Got rid of home broadband etc and got unlimited texts mins and data for 20 squid a month. Cheaper and faster than landline broadband.

Top Bottom