Phone power packs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The more mAh the more charges you'll get from it. Look for auto shutoff so your phone doesn't just keep running it down once charged. Make sure the output is something that your phone can use: most are OK with 1 amp but some can use higher currents which means faster charging. Look at your wall charger and see if it uses a higher output. Beyond that, check reviews but it's a bit of a lottery.

machew

Veteran
I have just got a RAVPower® 15000mAh Battery Pack cost about £26 and it has two usb ports. Will power my led lights and charge my phone at the same time

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
1200 mAh would only be about 1/2 a recharge for a lot of smartphones so good for emergencies only. 5200 could be 2 or 3 recharges, so that would be a lot more useful. The 15000 mentioned by machew would be really handy!

rualexander

Legendary Member
Most of these things only produce around 50-70% of the claimed capacity judging by the reviews I've read and personal experience with a few.
So allow for that in any purchasing decisions.

How efficient is the transfer of power. If you have a 5000mAH pack and a 1000mAH phone battery, would you get anywhere near 5 charges?

And then, what would happen if your device normally charge at 1Amp and the pack can deliver up to 2Amp?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If the phone can only use 1A, it should throttle the pack down to that, but a few phones don't (some Galaxy Aces) so check the wall charger or reviews. Some packs have two USB sockets, one 1A and one higher.

You don't get the full capacity because it does lose a lot in conversion and transmission. Pack features like charge indicators will use some power too, but may be worth having.

If the phone can only use 1A, it should throttle the pack down to that, but a few phones don't (some Galaxy Aces) so check the wall charger or reviews. Some packs have two USB sockets, one 1A and one higher.

You don't get the full capacity because it does lose a lot in conversion and transmission. Pack features like charge indicators will use some power too, but may be worth having.
Thanks. Got it.

JMAG

Über Member
The quality of the cells used can vary tremendously so be wary of very cheap, high mah packs. The cheaper ones are more prone to exaggeration much like the 5000 lumen lights that use a couple of 1000 lumen emitters.

As others have pointed out, reviews from existing owners should steer you right.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and have recently picked up a larger capacity battery (8800mah vs 1900mah original).

Also I've got two back-up power supplies as part of my audax preparation:

- An external battery that's mains charged with 15000mah
- An AA-powered external battery that's a lot less.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I've got a Samsung Galaxy S4 mini and have recently picked up a larger capacity battery (8800mah vs 1900mah original).
That is well over double the capacity of any phone battery that I have ever heard of and manufacturers are desperate to increase battery life so I am sure they would fit one of those if they could. I therefore suspect that the claimed number is way out OR that was a typo for, say, 2800?

Have you tested how long it works for compared to the original battery?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
That is well over double the capacity of any phone battery that I have ever heard of and manufacturers are desperate to increase battery life so I am sure they would fit one of those if they could. I therefore suspect that the claimed number is way out OR that was a typo for, say, 2800?

Have you tested how long it works for compared to the original battery?

Colin - I've tested it and the battery is 8800mah but it's a lot larger than normal. It's lasted a week so far on a single charge.

Trickedem

Guru
I have a few of these power packs and as has been said they are getting cheaper and cheaper. In my experience some of them are very poor quality though. The best one I have came from Aldi and it is very substantial and has a 3 year guarantee. So buyer beware, I suppose.

brand

No battery will give you the amps in the actual battery. They are not necessarily lieing (some are of course). Rough rule is the faster you discharge it the less you get out. Alkaline are supposedly the worst for this so obviously best for rear light.

Top Bottom