Photo Licensing (£££) Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Melvil

Hi,

As you may know I do photos as one of my other hobbies (when I'm not on the bike :sad:) and some people have registered an interest in using some of my pictures on websites. What do you think the going rate is for this kind of thing? I confess I don't have a clue...I don't want to name some stupidly high price, but OTOH I don't want to sell myself short either.

Any help much appreciated!

Mel :sad::smile:

Mel

The markets changed so much in the last 10/15 years it's difficult to say. If it's an approach from someone, you need to bear in mind your competing against the royalty free boys like these http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php

Price will vary by size and location/use on the site but I wouldn't expect big bucks as there's too many people doing it.

Commissioned work is an entirely different kettle of fish or selling off your own website or selling landscapes or big prints but web stuff won't make your fortune. I've seen some ridiculously good work selling for a few quid a photo.

By the way I think your stuff is pretty good so top end of what the market rate is, is what you should aim for.

OP
OP
M

Melvil

Crackle said:
Mel

The markets changed so much in the last 10/15 years it's difficult to say. If it's an approach from someone, you need to bear in mind your competing against the royalty free boys like these http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php

Price will vary by size and location/use on the site but I wouldn't expect big bucks as there's too many people doing it.

Commissioned work is an entirely different kettle of fish or selling off your own website or selling landscapes or big prints but web stuff won't make your fortune. I've seen some ridiculously good work selling for a few quid a photo.

By the way I think your stuff is pretty good so top end of what the market rate is, is what you should aim for.

Cheers Crackle, sage advice and kind words, you're right - I think framing and selling physical pics is probably going to be more of a money spinner than web, but yes, I won't expect much but hopefully will get a bit of exposure.

Cheers,

Mel

Bigtallfatbloke

the minute you put a pic up on the web it will be stolen...cut n' pasted is another word. Make sure you have a big copyright notice printed on all your work. You can self publish your own work on sites like www.lulu.com you provide the talent and the marketing, they do the website hosting shopping cart production and delivery etc for a small %.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Bigtallfatbloke said:
the minute you put a pic up on the web it will be stolen...cut n' pasted is another word. Make sure you have a big copyright notice printed on all your work. You can self publish your own work on sites like www.lulu.com you provide the talent and the marketing, they do the website hosting shopping cart production and delivery etc for a small %.

FREE WATERMARKING SOFTWARE only for next 9 hours on www.giveawayoftheday.com

Bigtallfatbloke

That watermarking software is ok if you buy it. The free version prints a bloody great big WATERMARK (the word) right over your pic to try and get others to download the demo.

Melvil said:
Cheers Crackle, sage advice and kind words, you're right - I think framing and selling physical pics is probably going to be more of a money spinner than web, but yes, I won't expect much but hopefully will get a bit of exposure.

Cheers,

Mel

Mel - check out the prices on the Getty or Hulton sites. You might pay about £200 for a 24 inch print. Given the many, many thousands of competing photographs that doesn't look like a moneyspinner.

One of my brothers went into wedding photography (from a senior position in biological research). It pays the mortgage. His other photographs, mostly of landscape, earn very little. For real money you have to follow the pap route. £100k for a pic of the Queen smoking a joint, that kind of thing.

Top Bottom