Physiotherapy... Any point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had lower back pain that persisted throughout the day and went for an NHS referral through my GP.

My initial telephone consultations gave me some stretches and booked me in for blood tests which turned out to be negative. At my follow up consultation I requested to be seen in person rather than by phone and the NHS physios agreed. After my assessment in person they scrapped the initial exercises I was given as they were no good and instead gave me some other ones because my legs and calf muscles were the problem not my spine as first thought.

I go every 8-10 weeks and each session I make improvements and get given more complex exercises to complete.

It hasn’t cost me anything and I have been happy with the service apart from the hiccup at the start.

Craig the cyclist

Über Member
Just a word of warning, don't ever marry one :stop:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
In my experience:

NHS = Diagnose mainly from verbal history + send away with exercise sheets. Repeat fortnightly.
Success = cope with normal life

Private Sport Physio = hands-on diagnosis + hands-on manipulation/treatment + Therapy machines + supervised exercises + homework. Repeat as necessary maybe 2/week initially decreasing as improve.
Success = back to sport
Exactly my experience. Years ago my back went. I'd already booked with my usual sports physio but, as my doctor got me a surpringly quick appointment with the NHS one, i decided to run with both. The difference in both outlook and treatment was eye-opening. NHS said it would be with me for life & I'd have to change the things I did. My physio said we'll soon have you back to normal. That was nearly 20yrs ago and not had a recurrence since.

It's all about finding a good one. That has experience with you're particular injury. NHS is moving very much to hands off - excercises and stretching.

A private physio, may do dry needling, accpuuncture, deep massage.

Let's be honest the sums of money aren't massive compared to what we spend on bikes and associated gizmos !!!!

Top Bottom