Physiotherapy... Any point?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The other thing to mention, for those who are doubtful about getting a private physio, is that I have to say it's been my experience that a reputable one won't keep 'milking' you - if after seeing you a few times, they think you'll progress just as well alone with the exercises you've worked through under their supervision, they'll advise you of this and tell you to contact them for a review in 6 months time, or something on those lines.
So none of it's 'wasted' money; it's all 'active' as it were.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You may only need a few sessions. Main thing is to identify what you need to do to fix it.

Bear in mind you will struggle to get anything via the NHS as they are massively over worked and are stuck mainly making sure folk can leave hospital or care. You being able to run or cycle isn't what their remit is, unfortunately.

They (NHS physio) couldn't do much for my back after my broken spine. I was given all the stretches but actually needed some intensive work on all the tight muscles. Believe it or not, about 10 private sessions sorted me over say 3 months, then I just had occasional sports massages. Not needed any help for about 3 years now.

Even if you go once to assess whats wrong. Your GP nor the internet can help.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The other thing to mention, for those who are doubtful about getting a private physio, is that I have to say it's been my experience that a reputable one won't keep 'milking' you - if after seeing you a few times, they think you'll progress just as well alone with the exercises you've worked through under their supervision, they'll advise you of this and tell you to contact them for a review in 6 months time, or something on those lines.
So none of it's 'wasted' money; it's all 'active' as it were.

I think most are busy enough to keep people longer than needed.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
The physio helped with my frozen shoulder. The appointments were available in this town in the evening and not the general hospital in the middle of the day.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I had an extremely painful prolapsed disc in my lower back a long time ago. The neurosurgeon at Charing Cross hospital was keen to get his knives out but I resisted. That really made him quite irate. I had already started a course of physiotherapy with the NHS at the same hospital (exercises, stretching on a traction bed, etc) and, after about two and a half months, they did a brilliant job. It's been fine ever since. Go to your GP and try and get yourself referred to the physios at the local hospital. In those days it was entirely free. I have no idea if that is still the case.

vickster

Legendary Member
I had an extremely painful prolapsed disc in my lower back a long time ago. The neurosurgeon at Charing Cross hospital was keen to get his knives out but I resisted. That really made him quite irate. I had already started a course of physiotherapy with the NHS at the same hospital (exercises, stretching on a traction bed, etc) and, after about two and a half months, they did a brilliant job. It's been fine ever since. Go to your GP and try and get yourself referred to the physios at the local hospital. In those days it was entirely free. I have no idea if that is still the case.
With Covid, I don’t think NHS physio are doing much in person outpatient consulting. Zoom, or phone, at least initially.

In my considerable recent experience over the last year , physio and orthopaedics are next to useless by phone at least before a proper hands on examination and diagnosis (I had one Zoom consult with ankle surgeon, I was sat in front of her a few days later as she needed to look at me and properly see and feel the joint…fortunately it was Bupa who paid for both apppintments)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
With Covid, I don’t think NHS physio are doing much in person outpatient consulting. Zoom, or phone, at least initially.

In my considerable recent experience over the last year , physio and orthopaedics are next to useless by phone at least before a proper hands on examination and diagnosis (I had one Zoom consult with ankle surgeon, I was sat in front of her a few days later as she needed to look at me and properly see and feel the joint…fortunately it was Bupa who paid for both apppintments)
In my case, telephone consultations would have been entirely useless. Besides, I don't have a traction bed to stretch my back. They had to physically bully and cajole me into doing quite painful exercises. They were for my own good, of course, so I didn't resent their bossiness. The only important thing was that they fixed my back. God bless them.

OP
OP
Tom B

Tom B

Guru
Huh? I hope that's just you being sarcastic ...

Yup obviously too far..

I'll be giving the physio a go. I'll see if the work insurance thing covers it before the open wallet surgery.

I didn't go to a&e, was going to go to the "hobble in centre" but it seemed better the day after, GP point plant to have anyone in spoiling their clean floor and simply advised if you're concerned in any way go to A&E. After 3 days I wasn't.

Two weeks on its much better tiny bit of swelling and soreness. Full movement is back and mild pain at limits of range.

When I am wearing propper over the able work or walking boots it's fine trainers and low shoes less so. The worst thing was a day in the office with low shoes on where the foot was hanging in a shoe that got painful.

Photos from first couple of days. Toes later went back*excuse the dodgy toes

Last edited:
Yup obviously too far..

I'll be giving the physio a go. I'll see if the work insurance thing covers it before the open wallet surgery.

I didn't go to a&e, was going to go to the "hobble in centre" but it seemed better the day after, GP point plant to have anyone in spoiling their clean floor and simply advised if you're concerned in any way go to A&E. After 3 days I wasn't.

Two weeks on its much better tiny bit of swelling and soreness. Full movement is back and mild pain at limits of range.

When I am wearing propper over the able work or walking boots it's fine' trainers and low shoes less so. The worst thing was a day in the office with low shoes on where the foot was hanging in a shoe that got painful.

Photos from first couple of days. Toes later went back*excuse the dodgy toes

When - not if - you go to the physio (and make it soon, please) take those photos with you.

Top Bottom